New to forums

Started by
21 comments, last by Aerolithe 21 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I just registered and I am a total newbie to game development. My first question is do you think that books are worth buying, or is it easier to just look up the information on the internet. I have seen a lot of tutorials on the internet for various things like programming and I've seen some pretty bad book reviews and I just wanted to know what you guys think since your the ones who are either doing this stuff or have done this in the past. ~Aerolithe (New, improved signature comming soon. Release date in late 2003, but expect delays and cut out features) [edited by - Aerolithe on November 5, 2002 9:13:33 PM]
Advertisement
Books are worth the gold you pay for them. Don''t try to learn direct X for the Docs that come with it. But hey, thats how I got programming.
Nick
Nick
Thanks, I was just reading some of the tutorials for beginners and it also recomends books. One of the biggest advantages is I don''t have to sit on the computer to learn, although I can''t get very far into it without using the computer anyway. All I need now is a steady source of income and I''m all set to get started, the only thing missing is an employer, but thats getting off topic. Do you know if I can generally get educational versions of software on my own without anything school related, my schools most advanced course is computer software 1, where I am currently learning PowerPoint (soooo hard ) and have managed to stay above a 100% the whole year so far.
I have no idea. I know you can get free compiliers online some where. Hey, and power point is hard. JK! At least you have PCs!
Nick
I''m not sure. Hey, Power Point is hard to use. JK At least you have PCs not MACs!
Nick
Nick
quote:Original post by nickmerritt
Books are worth the gold you pay for them. Don''t try to learn direct X for the Docs that come with it. But hey, thats how I got programming.
Nick

Hey now, that''s how I learned

But seriously, you''ll save yourself one hell of a headache if you get the books. I never got any books on programming, just dove head-first into the vast (and I do mean vast) unknown. Well, a little over a year and I''ve started to learn asm to optimize my code. Though I must admit it wasn''t exactly the easiest year of my life, what with college shoving me in the back and all.

Bottom line is get books unless you really feel adventurous.
Books have much more information than the online tutorials. Although the tutorials at www.gametutorials.com are nice. Just make sure you get the right books(i.e good reviews. Amazon.com has book reviews and lists by other programmers/game developers).

Hey amigo, I am a coderito sitting in your borito(and cuttin'')
Yeah, but did you look at the Direct X 8.1 Doc. And are you still in Grade 8?

Nick
Nick
If your asking me, I am in 9th Grade. Next year I can take a programming class, which I will take weather it''s review or not (I always need review anyway), and I am not that confident in my abilitys to learn it on my own. Its not that I am a slow/bad learner, it''s just that I am a quitter and will probably start over on any book I buy a few times unless I can manage to get some serious willpower. I am going to avoid telling my friends that I have any intrest in this just to avoid the negative comments The fact that the books cost me $40 each may motivate me to read them.
I suggest going over to gametutorials.com. That''s where I learned most of my OpenGL stuff and I see that the C++ tutorials there are in quite abundance. I suggest you download all the tutorials there(which there are about 200+ or so) and try out each one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement