Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Abob

[java] Java editor

I am looking for a simple java editor not written in java. I know that sounds funny, but java apps take soooo long to load on my computer. I do not need an IDE just an editor with color syntax. Thanks for any ideas.

I personally prefer editors written in Java (there''s a few good ones out there... Eclipse is good, IntelliJ IDEA is also really good. Heck, even jEdit is pretty good -- and fast for a Java-based java editor). But if you must, I would recommend...

Textpad... it''s not free, but you can use it for free forever (if you can put up with stupid little popups). There''s no auto-complete, no refactoring, nothing fancy -- but it DOES do syntax highlighting.

-pirate_dau

Guest Anonymous Poster
ConTEXT is a nice entirely free editor that has hooks so you can javac and run the output directly from the editor.

http://fixedsys.com/context/

To maintain the ballance ...

There are many editors with color syntax ...

and even some good javatic (written in java) ones do not take soooo long to load

Windows based, C++ coded

Javatics
(both free)

and IMHO even a K6-II 400MHz, 256MB RAM running under RedHat 7.3 starts these two in under 10 seconds ...

so take a pick

Petr Stedry