DirectX Tetris Game w/source

Started by
6 comments, last by Jim Adams 21 years, 5 months ago
I just noticed that The Code Project has posted a DirectX Tetris game complete w/source files. This would be a great place for beginners to start learning if they are interested both in DirectX and game programming. Link
Advertisement
Actually, learning to make games from already existing source is NOT a good way to start. If you learn for yourself and show problem solving skills, you will already have alot of the skills needed to make games. Also you will have a chance to figure out how to solve your own bugs .

---------------------------------------
I am the master of stories.....
If only I could just write them down
I am the master of ideas.....If only I could write them down...
Not quite true. Many people learned a lot from games like Quake and Quake 2, just from the source code alone. Beginners, however, do have a harder time learning from source code, but if they were to digest it slowly and see what each part does, then yes it is a good way to learn.

This post was posted in For Beginners, as it is meant to address all those beginners' questions on making a Tetris game (that were quite abundant quite recently).

Making a Tetris game is something simple to do, and something beginners should try out before jumping into a larger project. This game w/source demonstrates how to make one such Tetris game, and if you are able to get any information from it that would help, then by all means, check it out.

[edited by - Jim Adams on November 6, 2002 12:23:00 PM]
Is it better than this DirectDraw/Tetris tutorial, Jim?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

bump cos it''s useful
------------------------------------------------------------Yes. it''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!
bump because beginners should know

--Alpha
I''ve just done my tetris, i followed teej tutorials, its very good for beginners, i went from total n00b that just knows some C to somone able to make games!

"The bible is probably the most genocidal book ever written!" Noam Chomsky
"The bible is probably the most genocidal book ever written!" Noam Chomsky
Up ya go!

------------------------------------------------------------
Yes. it''''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!
------------------------------------------------------------Yes. it''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement