Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JavaNoob

[java] Try my Java game?

My first attempt at doing anything at all in Java is a simple breakout game for a web site (first of several simple games I hope). It''s mostly finished, although I''m waiting on some artwork and additional level designs. Those with 1.4.1 already can go here: http://christian.net/games/jericho/Gamelet.htm The plugin version is here: http://christian.net/hames/jericho/ Let me know what you think.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Nice work. The overall quality is quite nice, although I somewhat disagree with some of the ball-paddle collision physics

I also didn''t like the game pausing when the mouse cursor got out of the applet area. A better solution would be to somehow confine the cursor to the applet area, but I think that might not be possible with applets. Anyway the pausing isn''t a very good solution, although I have no idea what would be.

The levels obviously weren''t ordered by difficulty, as level two was much harder than level three. But all in all, I think the applet was quite nice.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I agree with the pausing being a little awkward but I wouldn''t know how to handle it either. However I liked the game and I think you did a very good job with it. Well done.

well, ill tell u "hwat" it sure is addictive, i played it for about 1 hr just so i could see the "end game animation", i was sadly dissapointed, but its a great job, btw ive just started java programming and i was wondering if your going to make this open source?

,Matt

-= kill one your a murderer, kill thousands your a conquerer =-

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I agree with the pausing being a little awkward but I wouldn't know how to handle it either. However I liked the game and I think you did a very good job with it. Well done.

I liked very much your game, good job . I also found the pause issue a little annoying, maybe you can add a frame arround the game area, so the mouse don't leave the applet area every time you go to the left or right.

applet
  |----------------------|
  | frame                |
  |   |--------------|   |
  |   | ###########  |   |
  |   |              |   |
  |   |      o       |   |
  |   |   ---        |   |
  |   |--------------|   |
  |                      |
  |----------------------|

EDIT: I give up , I can't do my ascii art look fine

[edited by - xaxa on November 18, 2002 11:03:06 PM]

Just tried your nifty little applet, a few comments

- I wish you dont lose certain powerups on picking up another. Like the bodyguard powerup dissappears when you pick up another. It would be nice to keep the bodyguard thing in place instead of it suddenly dissappearing.
- I think using the keyboard instead of the mouse would be better to avoid the pausing thingy, and you can have a key that pauses the game instead.
- There have been instances when the notes goes below the board but hits the side (it looks like the underneath bit) and the notes bounce straight back up instead of falling. Its no problem (cause I dont lose a life ) but there''s this trick where you flick you mouse across the applet and the note will never fall cause it always hits the board thus it bounces straight up.

I really enjoyed this game. Do you mind if I post this little applet at www.digitalnottingham.co.uk?

Okay I MUST be the only one getting a
Gamelet class not found error when I load the page..

D'oh..never mind. I forgot to close down and restart my browser after downloading the 1.4.1 JRE..

Sweet game!

[edited by - wazoo69 on November 20, 2002 12:02:10 AM]