Genesis 3D: Not god's most user friendly creation.

Started by
15 comments, last by Magic Card 23 years, 11 months ago
People always make funny comments when they don''t really know what they''re talking about.

I have had about the same problem and as far as I can tell it just lets you modify that Unreal clone of a game...

The "game" is just an example that uses the engine. You can build your own game from scratch. And it''s far from a clone as such, the only similarity is that it''s first person.

It seems that you need to use there interface and stuff and you have to use there weapons...

Again, the weapons are part of the example game implementing the engine. The engine doesn''t have any inherent concept of a weapon -- that''s up to the application to define what that is.

but forgot that it might need some f@#$ing documentation or sum tutorials...

Genesis has complete documentation of pretty much every function. By going through the headers, it''s rather obvious how well the API is designed and implemented -- it really is quite easy to use.

The result is that there is not a whole lotta people useing that engine.

Several known commercial games have been released, and there are several other professional licensees of the engine. Since Genesis isn''t a well known engine, the licensee''s generally choose not hype the fact they use it -- as opposed to the repeated ravings of "oh, our game uses uses the Quake engine, it''s automagically going to kick ass!".

I think it''s much easier to use Direct3DRM

As well you should. =) No offense, but by guess is you aren''t ready for realtime 3D development. You should also be advised that RM is as dead as DOS is. It hasn''t been updated or revised since DX3, afaik.

So your saying I could use genesis 3D to load a simple mesh and display it?

Genesis can do that, but it also can do so much more. Genesis can do veritably anything that Quake and Unreal can do.

just a quick Q to people of Gen3D and I think any Win32 programmer what is the diff between linking with a static lib or a dynamic lib?

Linking with a static library and a dynamic one are the same, except for one difference. Static linking pulls the library into your executable, while dynamic linking pulls only the import information into your executable, leaving the meat in a DLL that needs to be redistributed with it.
Creativity is a bloody nuisance and an evil curse that will see to it that you die from stress and alcohol abuse at a very early age, that you piss off all your friends, break appointments, show up late, and have this strange bohemian urge (you know that decadent laid-back pimp-style way of life). The truly creative people I know all live lousy lives, never have time to see you, don't take care of themselves properly, have weird tastes in women and behave badly. They don't wash and they eat disgusting stuff, they are mentally unstable and are absolutely brilliant. (k10k)
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

So your saying I could use genesis 3D to load a simple mesh and display it? I have used D3DRM but that''s as far as my 3D experience goes.

Retained mode is a waste of time, much to slow. And MSFT has stop developement on it as far as I know.

Glen
http://www.zenfar.com

Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
D3DRM was actively developed up to DX3, and got some minor bug-fixes for DX5. It still uses execute buffers, which Microsoft doesn''t recommend to use anymore.

Since most drivers are written for DX6 or DX7 today, it can even happen that D3DRM doesn''t work on a machine at all because it uses the IDirect3D4 interface (ex. D3DRM is known not to work with the latest NVidia drivers)

-Markus-
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
Your quite right I have next to no idea what I''m talkin about... It took some doing but I actually found the docs for the engine the html doc has one link called reference that I must have over looked that explains for the most part all of the interfaces. When I first looked at GT Test it was a little over whelming so I was way too judgemental. The interfaces look like the interfaces to D3DRM but I''m sure on the inside it''s much more effecient. I hope you can see that if you couldn''t find the interface documentation and you had loaded up the Test code, it''s really hard to separate game example code from 3d engine code there''s somethin like 129 classes.

I keep hearing that D3DRM is toast... that kinda sux big ones cuz that''s the only 3D stuff I can do, right now....

I realize that the GT Test is nothing like unreal when I said clone I meant fst prsn shooter. I also understand it''s design that makes a game and not the engine.

I am just starting to learn this stuff so yes D3DRM was the first thing I touched, I had a mesh loaded and rotating and that was more than I could do with Genesis.

I do appreciate the critisism, it reminds me not to shoot my mouth off until I''ve really asked or read all the docs.

Thanx 4 the info about the static and dynamic stuff.

Um yeah, so I read through the Engine, world and ram interfaces, I can see why you would think I didn''t know what I was talkin about... Cuz I had no @#$!ing clue. Thanx for the info very much... If they had included a simple mesh rotation demo with it I don''t think I would have been as discouraged. THANX AGAIN!
The documentation for Genesis3D on their website blows.

Check out some pretty good documentation for Genesis3D here:

http://www.ineffable.com/genesis3d/apiref/

Clay Larabie
Hmmm
''There''s a crack in everything, thats how the light gets in.''

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement