API tutorials

Started by
2 comments, last by Nathaniel Hammen 21 years, 5 months ago
I already know almost all of the keywords and such in C++. Now I want to learn both OpenGL and DirectX, but maybe not both at once. Anyways, I don''t know where to find a good tutorial and I don''t know where to find the required programs. I know that this is a question that (probably) has already been answered, but where can I find them? Right now I have to resort to using CMUgraphics (from Carnegie Mellon University, obviously). --------------------------------------- I am the master of stories..... If only I could just write them down
I am the master of ideas.....If only I could write them down...
Advertisement
You need to get alitte more advance in C++ before you try either one of those APIs. I would recomend that you stated with OpenGL first. Because openGL is easier to learn for a beginner then DirectX is.

First off, start looking here on GameDev for you tutorials. You''ll need to learn how to program in WIN32 first. You can get some here at #WinProg. The best place youre most likely to find OpenGL tutorials at is NeHe. You can also try OpenGL''s main site. You''ll also find some DirectX tutorials at GameDev->Articles and Resources->DirectX and NeXe. Pleae make sure you download the DirectX SDK downloaded first before you try and program with DirectX.

If your ever looking for programming tutorials, tips or basicly anythang, always try Google first, because there isn''t a better search engine on the net. You might try looking on Amazom for buying some good game programming books there. Good luck!
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
For good tutorials on OpenGL, go to gametutorials.com, that''s where I learned my OpenGL stuff...

By the way, which is better for game design: OpenGL or DirectX?
Depends on what you''re more comfortable with (key choice in deciding which API to use; it''s obvious you won''t perform as well with something you don''t understand well ).

Though if you plan on sticking to Windows, DirectX is a pretty good choice. Porting your source to other platforms will require some recoding though.

OpenGL, I don''t have much experience with and don''t want to be misleading. But it features a good deal more compatibility with other platforms, like Mac and Linux, so for a cross-platform game it makes things easier when it comes to porting.

It''s up to you, pretty much.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement