Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Concept Questions

This topic is 5517 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I havn''t used DirectX or OpenGL before but am looking forward to it when I get some time soon, and have a few questions to try and get a heads-up before I get into it. The tutorials, how-tos and such, with the exception of OpenGL graphics, tell you how to accomplish something using DirectX (DirectPlay etc) like you wouldn''t do it any other way, from my understanding this would make your app unportable to another OS, and make network games only playable between windows boxes. Where id like to eventually end up, is developing networked apps where each user could be using a different OS without it being an issue. Is this a large undertaking? Just how much time does DirectX save, compared to writing something from scratch (networking wise)? And is developing a game without touching DirectX at all (still using openGL however) vastly more complicated/time consuming then developing a game that does use DirectX? Also, in the case of persistent world mmorpgs, is it realistic to use a standard DB (MySQL etc) to manage all the items/players/accounts etc? Or would a customized way of data management be required? This mmorpg question is to get an idea of the concept behind how you go about something like that, and not to actually try and develop it. Thanks for your time.

From what I''ve read... if you use SDL and OpenGl then you''ll have a truly portable system. I believe it takes less lines to produce the same effect also (SDL doesn''t require you to create and register a window class).

Hope that helped some...