Ogg Vorbis help

Started by
3 comments, last by Greg K 21 years, 5 months ago
Does Ogg Vorbis have support for actually playing the sounds? Also, what is ogg and what is vorbis? They seem to be different things but I can''t figure out what is what. The documentation is kinda confusing. I don''t really want to learn all about the file format, I just want to play the music. Any help would be appreciated. -Greg Koreman
Advertisement
Shortly what I know.

There''s vorbisfile library that can encode and decode ogg-files. Once I posted here simple code to load file, it''s very easy with vorbisfile library. You need sound api to play the file I think (I use OpenAL).

Look at Vorbis developer site, and there "Documentation" and there "Programming with vorbisfile" or here: http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/vorbisfile/index.html

The Example Code was almost all needed to load ogg vorbis file
You don''t need to know the file format (thank goodness!!), but you need to know how to play sample buffer with sound api.
If you just want to play sound, I''d suggest to take a look at higher level apis like FMOD.
Ogg is a container format for multimedia. It can contain video, audio, and whatever else may someday be added.

Vorbis is an audio codec. Vorbis audio is most often found in Ogg files, but you can place it in other container formats as well.

Some other codec''s that Xiph is working on are Tarkin (video, has a way to go) and Theora (video, virtually done).

Thanks
-Greg Koreman

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement