Explosion Particle Effect

Started by
7 comments, last by g7tommyB 21 years, 5 months ago
Hi All, I am trying to create an explosion particle effect and I am not really sure how to go about it. I have done simple particle effects in the past with texture mapped boxes that moved away from the centre of impact and changed colors and faded over time. However, I want to achieve a big blast effect, which would imply that I use a one box and make it expand over time with a "blast" texture mapped over it. The problem is that I can only control a colour of the entire texture and therefore the blast looks really cheesy. I would like to get something realistic with many colours on it (whithe in the middle, followed by red and yellow for example). Does anyone have any ideas of how to do this or maybe a tutorial that is geared towards blast explosion effects? Thanks a lot for your help in advance. tommyB
g7tommyB
Advertisement
As far as most Professions games go, (most being set in a more modern time period) explotions are done by 1 to a few large quads that expand and have an animated Explotion texture on it so it blows up and looks better. the explostion is created with more texture images then quads and normally don''t use many particals except for debre. the other way to do it is to do some really indepth work with partical systems, another common way to do it is to use flat Expoltion rings as well also is a common effect in pprogession games that I have seen the rings expand and fade as they grow and they give a more 3d feel to the explotion. I hope this helps you a bit.
"I seek knowledge and to help those who also seek it"
Thank You - that does help.
Do you know how one would go about creating a textured quad with
an animated texture effect?
Would you use multi-texturing for this?
How does one go about creating an animated texture and then mapping it on a square box?

Thanks.

TommyB
g7tommyB
you create an animated texture by loading many images and textureing the quad with the next texture in the seqence each frame.

like this
? = 0;GLuint Frame[100]; // animation of 100 framesthread();{setupgl();Load Explotion Textures into Frame();while (1){?+=1;if (?==100)break;DrawFrame();}}DrawFrame(){Bind Texture ( Frame[ ? ]);draw quad();} 

I hope that helps explain a bit.

multitextureing is used for objects with 2 textures overlayed on top like some bricks with a smilly face on it. the bricks are a texture and the smilly face is a texture you can multitexture them onto the same polygon.

The animated texture can be of any texture formate you just need to devise a way to load in the frame and such. loading and binding textures to quads can be learned at NeHe productionsif you don''t know how to use them or are new to opengl.
"I seek knowledge and to help those who also seek it"
Thanks a lot for your help. I will try that.

TommyB
g7tommyB
Just a note to the above... you''ll probably want to change the textures in the animation based upon time, not upon frame. This way the explosions will run at the same speed on all machines.

I saw a good example of the textures used for animating on the Ati developer site, I think it was for a DirectX8 demo, but the textures there should give you a visual to what you need.

Hope that helps.

----------------
Interesting quote deleted at request of owner
----------------Amusing quote deleted at request of owner
Do you have the URL of that example?

TommyB
g7tommyB
http://www.ati.com/developer/samples/DepthExplosion.html
----------------Amusing quote deleted at request of owner
Thank You
g7tommyB

This topic is closed to new replies.