New Quake3 Level loader tutorial?

Started by
14 comments, last by Offcrash 21 years, 5 months ago
Will there ever be a new Quake3 level loader tutorial with collision detection support?
Advertisement
how about a full game tutorial? that will be half of the engine man

-----------------------------

DaHeR.RailgunMaster
____________________________________MSN | AIM | YIM | ICQ
quote:Original post by daher
how about a full game tutorial? that will be half of the engine man

-----------------------------

DaHeR.RailgunMaster

Yeah, would be cool :-)
I coded 6 pages of algorithms and functions for collision detection yesterday, but, as you can imagine, it didnt work
Collision detection sux

[edited by - Offcrash on November 7, 2002 6:01:07 AM]
Are there any tutorials on quake2 level loaders? I''m kinda out of the loop
I''m sure Google could help you guys find material on the q2 bsp file format. I think there''s a doc on flipCode too.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
Yes I definitely would be interested in a Q3BSP tutorial, but it should be split into different aspects : file format, space partitioning, rendering shaders (on oldest and newset GFX boards), collision detection...

Writing such a tutorial probably requires a team.
Who wanna take the lead ? ;*)
SaM3d!, a cross-platform API for 3d based on SDL and OpenGL.The trouble is that things never get better, they just stay the same, only more so. -- (Terry Pratchett, Eric)
check out

http://www.gametutorials.com/Tutorials/opengl/OpenGL_Pg5.htm

for a quake 3 map loader

matt
The q3bsp loader on gametutorials.com just supports polygons and space partitioning (that''s quite good since I don''t know of any other q3bsp tutorial). It give a good overview of the file format, though.

I guess a tutorial that supports everything (meshes, billboards, bezier patches, animated shaders, effects, collision detections, handling correctly the ZIP file.........) would be a real killer.
I would really be happy to see that on NeHe''s site and maybe I can contribute (for easy things ;*).
Anybody else interested ?

The aftershock renderer supports quite a lot of things (see http://www.planetquake.com/aftershock/) and could be a good starting point. But it is definitely not a tutorial.

RodZilla
SaM3d!, a cross-platform API for 3d based on SDL and OpenGL.The trouble is that things never get better, they just stay the same, only more so. -- (Terry Pratchett, Eric)
I know Aftershock, but the source is rarely commented and isn´t very useful for me.
I found a q3 map loader with collision detection, but its based on directx and coded under pascal *grrr* That sux!

[edited by - Offcrash on November 7, 2002 10:16:34 AM]
i hope there won t be such a tutorial out in the near future or everyone starts copy and pasting

a good tutorials explains how it basically works with pseudo code
if you present a working source code nobody will bother working it out on his own

you don t have to support lazyness of copy&paste

either you are willing to work out the code on your own or you should learn a bit more about the subject

tutorials should only discuss the theory if it shows you the code you won t learn anything no even the basics that why i have never had a look at gametutorials.com
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement