Factors effecting Exp.

Started by
11 comments, last by Taulin 21 years, 5 months ago
hehe

MindEngine Developer Network
Advertisement
I think one of the problems is that most RPGs don´t distinguish between weight in the backpack and weight on the body... and since heroes naturally *have* to carry a lot of loot the limit is pretty high... there are some systems with class restrictions, but I don´t particularly like those either...

Another thing about XP... the basic equation of OpponentsLevel/YourLevel is of course valid, and while I think that a modification of that by taking the fighers equipment into account isn´t bad we should focus on the bigger problem...

Can you think of a generic situation (your average random encounter), where you can award the same amount of experience, as long as the situation is resolved? The fighter kills the monster, gets his Fighting XP, the mage does some magic, gets Magic XP, the thief sneaks around, gets his stealth-specific XP... another player decides to talk things over, gets his social skills XP....
I´m not sure how far you can generalise this idea, but it´d be worth a try I think...
A point I''d like to make is that it does not take more skill to bring down a monster if you are not wearing any armor. It does take more skill to avoid being killed while you are doing it. It should be easier to kill a monster while wearing no armor, or just a loincloth, because your movement would be unimpaired and you would be able to attack more quickly. Maybe your survival skill should get an XP bonus for fighting unprotected.
Also, with regard to encumbrance, do any RPGs give you an exercise bonus for lugging around a ton of stuff? If you load up with too much stuff you''ll suffer a mobility penalty, and you''ll get tired more quickly, but you should become stronger more quickly. It''s like going to the gym, all day, every day. Just think how buff you''d get!

Shawn
When using the Windows calculator program, always remember to clear any values from memory before exiting to prevent burn-in.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement