[java] Java3D game - is it possible

Started by
7 comments, last by PunX_LV 21 years, 5 months ago
Hi all I have one question for everybody who has some deal with Java3D API and game dev: I would like to know everybody''s opinion about possibilities of making 3D game in Java3D thx PunX
PunX
Advertisement
There is a commercial game called Roboforge or something that is done in Java3D, so clearly it is possible. However, I would say that you can not get the kind of graphics that people have come to expect from 3D-intensive AAA-titles without using a lower-level API, such as GL4Java or the lightweight gamedev lib.
Since i''m an anonymous coward and can''t start my own thread, I''d like to piggy back this one and ask: Is there a way to interface with OpenGL through java without using any non-standard tools?
No, cowardly one, there is not*

Cas

* Sun would have you believe that J3D is "pure" Java because they made it, but don''t be fooled! You want the Lightweight Java Game Library. Or GL4Java.
quote:Original post by princec
* Sun would have you believe that J3D is "pure" Java because they made it...

Totally false! They clearly say that java3D is based on openGL and DirectX!

use Java3D if you''re a beginner... else, use the LWJGL or GL4Java...
- Artist on the web -- Lwjgl Ressources & blog -
You completely misunderstand me, MisterX.

They state that "pure" Java is any Java that uses no JNI code, only the classes provided with J2SE.

Then they state that J3D is based on OpenGL or DirectX.

They they apologetically try and convince you that it''s still "pure" Java even though a bunch of JNI has been introduced, because they designed it, so that''s all right. Somewhat shooting themselves in the foot.

Cas
Few questions on the topic of 3d Java.

* Has anybody done a nice benchmark comparison between Java3D and GL4J? I''ve heard a lot of argument for and against each of them but I would like to know which one is truly faster because, hey that''s what''s important.

* Can you easily switch to full screen mode in Java3D/GL4J?

Anyways, I think I might need to have a bit of a play around with some 3d stuff soon. Are there any good tutorials for GL4J? I know there are a whole bunch of PDFs for Java3D that explain everything nicely and I''m kind of a newbie to the whole 3d thing (tried some D3D8 stuff and got a .x file to load but not much more before I gave up). I want to go with whatever is likely to be the fastest rather than easiest to use, so does anybody have any hard facts?

Thanks
______________________________"Crack a government encryption code on my laptop? Easy as really difficult pie." - Willow.------------------------------
Yes, go use the LWJGL instead of GL4Java It''s about as fast and small as it is possible to get with Java. It''s also about as bare-bones and difficult as it can be. GL4Java is a little easier, with a lot of extra bells and whistles. J3D has the potential to make doing very complicated things very easy at the expense of outright performance, massive downloads, and a learning curve that''s nearly as steep anyway due to the dearth of helpful documentation and examples (whereas GL examples are all over the web)

Still no-one''s beaten my terrain demo C''mon, I dare ya... it''s a year old for chrissakes!

Cas

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement