Random enemies in Arcade FPS

Started by
0 comments, last by TechnoHydra 21 years, 5 months ago
Well I was in an arcade the other day playing Crisis Zone (think that''s the one with submachine gun) and I''d already beaten it once before. Since I had some pent up energy to spend I decided to give it a go again. While I was playing it though I noticed that nothing was new, what I mean is, I knew where the enemies were going to pop up and I therefore gunned them down the second they appeared. Later I got to thinking about all the FPSs that I like (Silent Scope Series, Time Crisis Series, etc) and realized they''re all like that. So here''s a question I now have. Why are these shooters not made with random enemies? Games like Silent Scope would have a lot higher replayability if they implemented random snipers. Now I''d still be happy if the bosses were left as they are but having random enemies jump out would be a big boost. There must be someway to script this. And as I think about it I realize that it would be more work then just hard coding everything in, but I also believe that with a higher replayability value would come increased gameplay. If every game is different as far normal enemies it wouldn''t get AS repetetive as most. Comments? Anyone else have any further insight on this?
Advertisement
Some reasons might be because knowing exactly where enemies will always be makes it easier to optimize the engine and graphics. Another reason might be because it''s easier and faster to balance and tweak the game if there is no randomness to enemy placement. A design issue might be because they want veteran players to get better at the game and they could do so by memorizing where enemies will be.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement