Ai Engine?

Started by
14 comments, last by Xeno 23 years, 12 months ago
quote:Original post by WhatEver

I''ve made one AI, and I find them fun to make.

Ah, you seem to use ''AI'' as some sort of noun referring to an actor in the game that isn''t player controlled. Quite a few people do this, but I prefer to call them NPCs (Non-Player Characters) to distinguish them from generic AI which is generally just your system for making so-called intelligent decisions for those NPCs. Of course, as long as you understand what everyone is talking about, that''s fine.
Advertisement
where i can find some reading stuff about adding AI to my characters in my game?

Posted By Xeno.
Kobe Bryant- "Just believe in yourself"

------------------------------- Goblineye Entertainment------------------------------

Adding AI to a game? www.gameai.com, logically enough
Look here on gamedev... one of the things on the main page says something like programming resource. If you do a search for AI, you get tons of stuff! It is probably a good idea to do a search for a specific type of AI.

--------------------

You are not a real programmer until you end all your sentences with semicolons;

Yanroy@usa.com

Visit the ROAD Programming Website for more programming help.

--------------------

You are not a real programmer until you end all your sentences with semicolons; (c) 2000 ROAD Programming
You are unique. Just like everybody else.
"Mechanical engineers design weapons; civil engineers design targets."
"Sensitivity is adjustable, so you can set it to detect elephants and other small creatures." -- Product Description for a vibration sensor

Yanroy@usa.com

thanks a lot guys , all of u.

Posted By Xeno.
Kobe Bryant- "Just believe in yourself"

------------------------------- Goblineye Entertainment------------------------------

Kylotan, I''m not sure what you mean exactly. The AI(I need to no more about the NPC definition) that I made was controled by states, as is my player, but I control my player states through KB commands. My enemies are controled by things that happen on the screen. My origional idea was to make the way he reacts to things on the screen change when he''s at a certain level of health, ie full health=timid, 75% health=timid, 50% health=cautious, 25% health=kamakazi .

Imagine this to be an Asteroids game with free floating characters.

Details of the AI went like this. If the space ship was greater than the small sphere(real close to player), and less than the attcking sphere, the AI would fire his weapons at me for 1.5 seconds, then back up for a fraction of a second, spin exactly 180 degrees from the enemy, then re-attack once it came back within the attack sphere. If the enemy came within the players small sphere, it would stop shooting and fly in revers to avoid hitting me.

I also made it possible for enemy characters to lock on and kill other enemy characters if one of their bullets should hit them :D.

Is what I described an AI?

Did you think I was calling "a character" an AI instead of saying "AI"? Funny, that''s probably what you meant when you spoke of it being a noun. Anyway, I had to clear this up so I know what to say in the future.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement