DirectDraw Surface Memory Types

Started by
-1 comments, last by NolanJ 21 years, 5 months ago
Recently I've been having trouble with getting a game that displays fine on my computer, to display correctly on other computers. I think that I found the cause in my choice of what type of memory I use to store the DirectDraw surface on. My problem is that the game only works on the other computer if I store the images in system memory which of course is pretty slow. If I store them in VRAM everything displays fine and runs fast on my computer, but on the other computer the sprites are distorted. I guess what I want to ask is if anyone knows a remedy for this problem or a way around it like detecting the capabilites of the video card at runtime and then choosing the appropriate memory type. I'm basing my code off of the libraries in Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus for those of you who are familiar with it. I'm running a 98 Laptop and I've been testing on desktops running 98, XP, ME, and 2000 if that helps any. Here's the line of code in question. ddsd.ddsCaps.dwCaps = DDSCAPS_OFFSCREENPLAIN|DDSCAPS_VIDEOMEMORY; Thanks for taking a look. [edited by - NolanJ on November 8, 2002 10:00:01 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement