Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sir_Spritely

[java] Package/Class Hierarchies confusion

I have set up a project titled Alarm and in the project I have a file called Initial_Setup.java, declared like: - public class Initial_Setup { public static void main ( String [] args )throws IOException I have another file titled tester.java, setup like, import java.io.*; public class tester extends Initial_Setup { public static void main ( String [] args ) throws IOException What I am trying to do is set up the program so that when it executes it will first run through Initial_Setup and then move onto tester.java. However tester.java needs to access some variables which are filled with a value from the keyboard. How can I do this? Also how can I setup the program so that when the end of Initial_Setup is reached it moves onto tester.java? If you need code to look at then I will post it but I''m pretty sure it is not needed. I''m fairly sure it is a typical thing I am trying to accomplish. Thanks, Pk.

quote:
Original post by Sir_Spritely
I have set up a project titled Alarm and in the project I have a file called Initial_Setup.java, declared like: -

public class Initial_Setup
{
public static void main ( String [] args )throws IOException

I have another file titled tester.java, setup like,

import java.io.*;
public class tester extends Initial_Setup
{
public static void main ( String [] args ) throws IOException

What I am trying to do is set up the program so that when it executes it will first run through Initial_Setup and then move onto tester.java.

However tester.java needs to access some variables which are filled with a value from the keyboard.

How can I do this?

Also how can I setup the program so that when the end of Initial_Setup is reached it moves onto tester.java?

If you need code to look at then I will post it but I''m pretty sure it is not needed. I''m fairly sure it is a typical thing I am trying to accomplish.

Thanks,

Pk.

I think you''re not getting the point of the "extends" keyword, it just means that you''re deriving your tester class from Initial_Setup.

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com]