Immersion

Started by
20 comments, last by beantas 21 years, 5 months ago
i think that in First person perspective games immersion can increase if the character you control has a body which you can see if you look straight down; you can see your body as well as other players see you, this gives the feeling that you are there and not just controlling a camera hovering above ground.

a game can be more immersive if enviroments and structures look strange, because they give you a queer feeling, if you are exploring an out-of-this world enviro, you will be more interested , and you will act as if you are there.

((work for the world like you will never die, and work fopr the hereafter like you will die tomorrow)) - Prophet Mohammed.
((work for the world like you will never die, and work for the hereafter like you will die tomorrow)) - Prophet Mohammed.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by beantas
You could definitely put those measures in and balance them to make a fun game. But that would have been a different game from HL. The creators of HL were looking for a certain feel to the game and they found it and it was fun. There are many different ways to make a fun FPS and they don''t all involve headshots or realistic damage. Since you seem to prefer realism in a game, why not stick to the Clancy shooters?

I think most of Half-Life''s combat was not fun, but I could live with it since the story, atmosphere and general polish were so great. About me prefering realism, well you''re probably right, but I like the Unreal series of games better than the Clancy shooters.

quote:
According to the Fallout Bible, the game was set in a divergent earth. It was the future extrapolated from some of the ideas of 1950''s sci-fi. It wasn''t actually set in the 1950''s, hence the surrealistic combination of kitschy old stuff and modern-day technology. So the Desert Eagle is there to provide some familiar things to balance the fantastical things. You''ll notice that the original creators of Fallout went on to create Arcanum, which has that same surrealism to it (old-style magic with modern technology).

OK, I just don''t think it fits. The names give associations to real guns, and for me that leads to an anti-climax in combat when the guns don''t behave anything like real ones.

-------------------
Aim for the horizon
but watch your step
-------------------Our only true limitis our imaginationAim for the horizonbut watch your step

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement