Tiles attract me....

Started by
11 comments, last by Isowave 23 years, 11 months ago
The kind of games I want to program are definitely top down/isometric strategy/role playing games. Of course, I am kinda new to game programming... I can do the tile engine in "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus", but the only problem is it uses that engine that comes on the CD, and it is kinda choppy. I was wondering if it wasn''t entirely impossible for me to learn a way that is better, faster, supports more tiles, and so on...? I also have trouble getting an animated character on the ground... are there any thorough articles/books/etc... out there? Thanks a lot
Advertisement
If you actually understand the engine in Andre''s book you shouldn''t have any problems making your own now should you? As for if there are any books on the topic, it seems you already have one.

"Paranoia is the belief in a hidden order behind the visible." - Anonymous
Actually, I was wondering if there was a different way to do things? I''ve got the book, but the code I can write is just like the book. I guess once I learn more, I can extract what I need from it and fabricate my own engine...
w8 for Tan''s book, look rather cool, also they are a couple of articles from him and others in the reference section of gamedev
It's good to be an outcast, you don't need to explain what you do, you just do it and say you don't belong there.
Actually, I would love to get that book when it comes out. But books take a long time to write, and I will hopefully be passed this point of my programming career I''m going to try and go to DigiPen, after I get through with DeVry.
As far as learning about programming stuff creatively goes - there''s a wealth of articles right here on gamedev already. Check out the theory section, it has a whole part dedicated to tile-based games and algorithms.
It would be a good place to start learning.

#pragma DWIM // Do What I Mean!
~ Mad Keith ~
**I use Software Mode**
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Well, there aren''t a million different ways to write a tile-based engine. There''s basically one accepted way that you (excluding hex, isometric) use for putting the tiles on the dang screen. Go ahead and use the *methods*, not the code, in Lamothe''s book. Believe me, to write a tile-based game, there''s a lot more you have to worry about besides the tiles. Experiment. Good luck.

Martin
______________Martin EstevaolpSoftware
I don''t know about tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, but in Windows Game Programming for Dummies the code initialises the surfaces to RAM instead of video ram (SYSTEM_MEMORY) so initialise the stuff to video memory for quicker stuff
I''ve got both books, so I''ll take a look. I''m trying to work my way up to Real Time Strategy Game Programming by Mickey Kawick... that seems to be a ways off though. my next goal is to make a complete tileset, make a map from it, and put a little character on the ground... wish me luck
Maybe you outa try the Mappy32 tile editor? Just a suggestion...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement