• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

initial_y

how to decompose a concave polygon to convex?

This topic is 5790 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can decompose a simple concave polygon to convex one, but can''t found the algrithom for decompose a complex(with holes,self-intersect) concave polygon to convex... Who can introduce me some articles or algrithoms about this problem?

Advertisement
long story short- there are plenty of clipping libraries out there, why write your own?

GPC- best one, but GPL
LGPL replacement for GPC but is ''work in progress''
comparison of various libs

if you''re looking into algorithms and stuff, check out the GPC page-links/references section.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

quote:
Original post by initial_y
what are GPC? I can't find it...

Just follow eldee's link...

BTW: GPC is not under the GPL, but some kind of proprietary license. The author just stated, that it is free for non-commercial use. You can actually use it commercially, but you'll have to negotiate with the author - no idea what he might ask for. Perhaps just some credits, perhaps lots of cash, probably depends on the size of the project. Anyway, GPC is an excellent clipping library - the best I've come across so far.

If you want to decompose a concave poly into convex pieces, then why not using a simple triangulation algorithm. It will decompose any concave polygon into triangles (that are convex by definition). Here is a nice simple and stable triangulator with source.

[edited by - Yann L on November 9, 2002 1:17:54 PM]

just thought i''d mention that i found another-
it''s called GTS and it''s an LGPL library that does a whole lot of
stuff. apparently it''s really fast, but i havent had a chance to
check it out yet.
take a look

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!