Poll: Out of curiosity

Started by
12 comments, last by DalTXColtsFan 21 years, 5 months ago
don''t know if this would be considered appropriate or not, but I was just kind of curious, so if y''all wouldn''t mind! Just was kind of wondering what the makeup of the "nehe populace" is, as far as: 1. College 2. Current job/total programming experience. 3. About how many hours a week you spend studying/programming OpenGL 4. Do you dream of being a professional game programmer 5. Have you ever published a title, even if it''s shareware Me: 1. Masters in Math from U of Missouri-Rolla. 2. Technical consultant mainly focusing on VB and SQL Server. About 6 years. (the programming part of my job is very easy.) 3. 10-15, more when I''m not on a project 4. ABSOFROGGINGLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5. Nope, never. The city demo I posted awhile back is probably my most difficult piece of work .
Advertisement
1: In college, sohpemore year, mastering in math & compsci
2: None and nada
3: 0 some weeks, 20 others
4: heh yeah, i doubt it will happen though
5: doest pong^3 count ?
1. I study at LTU as a Computer game graphics artist http://gscept.tt.luth.se/

2. no job, but i have been doing CG programming since 96 in a multitude of languages.

3. Around 15

4. Hell yea, what do you think im' studying at csCEPT for.

5. I have written a couple of small tools and programs, most notably OscarII: the second insult(all on http://flashbang.nu), currently im' working on my brand spankingly new game engine(coldfire), there will probobly be a new game out this x-mas.

[edited by - lc_overlord on November 8, 2002 5:28:37 PM]
1. High School (last year)
2. Unemployed (but i do program demos)
3. I spend about 5 hours a week programming and the rest of my free time studying
3. I do wish to program games professionally but i dont know if ill commit my entire working life to it - right now its just fun
4. Never published a title but i have a fairly good "freeware" title found at - members.rogers.com/ramrajb/Downloads/IslandDemo.zip

Is game programming worth the time?
1. College (1eS in France)
2. no job, 3 years
3. it depends... sometime 0, sometime 15
4. yeah, maybe... "graphics programmer" would be great for me !
5. nop
- Artist on the web -- Lwjgl Ressources & blog -
1. No college, I hate school
2. Unemployed, but worked at two comercial games (I quit in the middle of the first game, and the second game got canceled, because of lack of funds)
3. About 35 hours/week
4. I was one, and still am, since I am working at a game, right now (by mtself)
5. Nope, but going to (in fact I did, but it''s not OpenGL related: http://hme.sourceforge.net )
1. Finished university last year (comp sci)
2. No job yet. About 12 years programming (2-3 OpenGL)
3. 20-50
4. Of course
5. None published but some finished (check webpage)

Luigi Pino
The 23rd Dimension

[edited by - lp23 on November 9, 2002 2:16:33 AM]

1. university of canterbury, new zealand.
2. grunt work... been programming since, well, probably since i could use a computer.... which is a long time
3. GL makes a pretty small part of what I do, about equal with d3d, but I probably program for a good 2-4 hours/day, although it depends on the day and my work load.
4. course. but movie graphics are more fun
5. morgue racer + random other stuff. I perfer to do things purly for the learning. not the credit

<-- smile :-)

Project-X
1. Currently sitting 1st year of a BSc Computer Science (Graphics and Games) course at Middlesex University. (it's horribly, horribly below my current programming level).

2. Total programming experience is about 6½ years so far, with only a few months of that being programming at a company (and was recently).

3. Well I've done about 13 hours today, and I'm not done yet, so I'd say about 65-75 hours a week is a fair estimate for when I'm not bogged down with university work, or 45-55 hours a week when I do have uni work to focus on. (I dont sleep much, so I get a lot of free time).

4. Damn right I do! hehe, That's why I put in all those hours.

5. Never, but I'm currently working on what I hope will be a publishable title (the engine at least is worthy of it, but the gamecode is kinda slim at the mo hehe).

I'm not "technically" a part of the "nehe populace", seeing as I stopped visiting this site daily well over a year ago, but I still pop in now and again to read up on Jeff's life, what the community is producing, and any more tutorials that have popped up.

[edited by - Cobra on November 8, 2002 8:46:28 PM]
"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will have warmth for the rest of his life"
1. In high school
2. No job. Been programming for 4 years
3. Spend on average about 4 hours a day programming which is 28 a week plus.
4. You KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. I only put stuff I write up on my website, nothing too fancy.

From a FLOOP (Freak, and LOVING it, of Object Oriented Programming)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement