• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UsefulIdiot

OpenGL without glut?

This topic is 6780 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I''m still confused, im doing this in linux and ive never taken a programming class... self taught copycat. hDC is a windows thing i think. more info please

You also can use another portable library such as SDL that implements this function, with some very useful others for game programming. It''s aivalable on many many platforms.

PH.

Guest Anonymous Poster
glaux is deprecated, GLUT replaces it. You shouldn''t really be using glaux, though some OpenGL distributions have it in there for legacy support.

If you''re using OpenGL under some flavor of Unix/X-Windows and don''t want to use GLUT, check out the documentation on glX (the *nix equivalent to Windows'' wgl) on www.opengl.org.

-Brian Sharp
www.maniacal.org

I''ve ported all of NeHe''s tutorials to use glX. This should help you to use OpenGL on Linux without having to resort to GLUT. (http://opengl.koolhost.com)

The function you need to swap buffers, if you are using glX, is:

void glXSwapBuffers(Display *dpy
GLXDrawable Drawable)

Where:

dpy : Specifies the connection to the X server.

Drawable : Specifies the window whose buffers are to be swapped.

Check out the code for examples.

GLUT is definitely the easiest for implementing OpenGL programs, but once you have a glX skeleton it''s just as easy and you aren''t as limited.

Cheers,
Andy

surgeon: Your website seams to be down, and I''d be interested in checking out the GLx version of the tutorials. Does your website still exist? or does anyone know of a similar site?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!