Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChaosPhoenix

Opinions on FullSail?

Tried using the search button but its disabled So there, can''t flame me. Sorry if this has been asked alot but the school is 30k and 15 months out of my time so I need to know if its the right choice. My main problem in college right now is I can''t stand courses that don''t interest me. I enjoy my computer science classes but can''t stand english and all those mandatory POS classes that have nothing to do with Programming. Anyway, So I looked into FullSail and really love there courses they have listed. The 35-40 hours a week and 15 month degree program are just what Im looking for to get my degree and get out into the industry. Im just looking for some good teachers that can help me improve my game development skills and help me get all the skills I need to have to make it in the industry. FullSail looks to be what Im looking for, I already have them sending me a packet of information(heh, network pun ) so give me some opinions if you have been there or have heard anything about FullSail. The more information I can get the better but I really want some opinions of people who have been there or know anything about it. Thanks, CP

Well, I didn't go to the place, but a friend of mine did. He thought it was great -- but when I tested him on practical, real world knowledge of building apps (particularly with a focus on GUIs, engines, and back-end support routines), he couldn't code his way out of a paper sack. Without the tools that they apparently provided or focused on in their training, he was completely lost.

So, as far as he was concerned, he loved it. As far as I'm concerned, in his case at least, he got the short end of the stick.

[edited by - SenseiDragon on November 8, 2002 3:46:35 PM]

Full Sail is a great school. It''s just not for everybody. I would not reccomend this school to people who''ve just graduated high school for 2 reasons:

1) Most HS graduates spend their time at Full Sail partying it upand exploring their newly found freedom. Although you can get away with this, it will effect your chances of completing your projects, and it will also effect your chances of finding a job or having a teacher reccomend you for a job.

2) Alot of HS graduates don''t have the mentality and or nessassary skills to handle a course as fast paced as what Full Sail offers.

If the above discribes you then you should locate a school on usnews.com''s top Software Engineering schools. These schools offer you more time to mature, and aquire the programmers "thinking" process. Which is very important.

If the above does not discribe you then Full Sail would be a very viable option. However you must realize that if you go into the school expecting to work at ID Software when you graduate you''ll probably sorely dissapointed. The school teaches you the basics of game programming which would take a normal person any number of years to pick up. It''s then left up to the student to research more advanced techniques which are used in the industry and develop their skill sets. The school also can put you on the path to a job, however it can not gaurentee you one.

So if you are being realistic when you go there you''ll be happy with what you learn, if you go in with false expectations then you''ll be very bitter when you graduate.

Sounds like a case where you have to keep clear in mind what you are planning on doing with the knowledge in the development cycle, and seek to fill in the gaps as you are learning the material, or make note of what more you need to learn.

You can''t just trust the instructors to give you EVERYTHING you need.

quote:
Original post by SenseiDragon
Well, I didn''t go to the place, but a friend of mine did. He thought it was great -- but when I tested him on practical, real world knowledge of building apps (particularly with a focus on GUIs, engines, and back-end support routines), he couldn''t code his way out of a paper sack. Without the tools that they apparently provided or focused on in their training, he was completely lost.

So, as far as he was concerned, he loved it. As far as I''m concerned, in his case at least, he got the short end of the stick.

[edited by - SenseiDragon on November 8, 2002 3:46:35 PM]

Unfortunately this is what happens when you enter an accelerated program such as Full Sails. I''ve watched it happen to students while I was attending, and I''ve heard about it happening to others. The problem here is that the course goes by at such a rapid pace that not everyone is able to develop the thinking process envolved with designing a game/application, or they have developed the skill but they don''t have the confidence to just go off and do it.

Until they develop this skill they are typically hack and slash coders, that have to start programming their applications and see where it takes them. So it''s not that your friend doesn''t know how to code his way out of a paper bag, it is just simply that he has not yet developed a skill that would allow him to do so. This also happens in real colleges, so it''s honestly not as bad as you may think.