~ ¿operator?

Started by
7 comments, last by zithowa 21 years, 5 months ago
I''m fairly new to c++, and I''m modifying the code for a game. I know you use someClass::~someClass() to declare a destructor, but in the code for this game i often see something like the following: void gore_CTFTeam::setDroppedController(gore_ItemControllerAPI & icapi) { dropped_flag_controller=icapi; if (~dropped_flag_controller) { // The home base flag must be made // unavailable. assert(!flag_controller.available()); track_dropped_controller=true; } else track_dropped_controller=false; } Sorry for the noobish question, but you''ve gotta start somewarez. Thanks =]
100% n00b Gore programmer.
Advertisement
~ is "bitwise not". That is (in binary):

~01011001101
-----------

If I had my way, I'd have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.

[edited by - Dean Harding on November 8, 2002 5:29:49 PM]
~ in that context inverts all the bits in a number.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
so

if(~dropped_flag_controller)

would essentially be the same thing as if

if(!dropped_flag_controller)

and

if(!~dropped_flag_controller)

would mean the same thing as

if(dropped_flag_controller)

This is true with a bool return value, correct? So if the bits are reversed with an int, say 3, what is the result? -3?

thanks for the help.. this is used often in the code and a good thing to know.

quote:Original post by zithowa
if(~dropped_flag_controller)

would essentially be the same thing as if

if(!dropped_flag_controller)
No (unless it is a single bit). It is bitwise NOT, or 1-complement.

3 = %0011 = true
~3 = %1100 = 12 or -4 = true

6 = %0110 = true
~6 = %1001 = 9 or -7 = true

[edited by - CWizard on November 8, 2002 5:52:39 PM]
Thanks a lot CWizard and others, glad you could help me build my genius skills, by eating some of yours.

You're welcome, although I only clearified what the others said.

If you're interested, when negating a binary value (eg. 3 => -3) you do 2-complement, which is same as 1-complement but you add 1. Consider these signed examples (% denotes binary):
~n + 1 = -n ~0     + 1 = 15    + 1 = 16     => 0  ~%0000 + 1 = %1111 + 1 = %10000 => %0000 ~1     + 1 = 14    + 1 = 15     => -1~%0001 + 1 = %1110 + 1 = %1111  => %1111 ~7     + 1 = 8     + 1 = 9      => -7~%0111 + 1 = %1000 + 1 = %1001  => %1001 ~-5    + 1 = 4     + 1 = 5      => 5~%1011 + 1 = %0100 + 1 = %0101  => %0101  
EDIT: Just so you don't get it wrong here, you never do this procedure in anything higher than the chip-level, not even in assembly (for most processors, that is).

[edited by - CWizard on November 8, 2002 7:48:15 PM]
I''m pretty sure I understand what goes on with this ~ operator (reverses bits for a given ¿value?). What I don''t understand is why anybody would ever use it.

Is there an advantage to using "if(~boolValue)" over "if(!boolValue)," or is this not a time when you would use ~?

I guess my overall question would be why would you ever use ~ for anything; what''s the point?

For bit field manipulations, it''s useful :
Set a bit : flags |= flag;
Clear a bit : flags &= ~flag;

In a boolean context (like your if(~dropped_flag_controller)), it''s pointless.

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement