C# changes

Started by
15 comments, last by Arild Fines 21 years, 5 months ago
From http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-965046.html:
That release of Visual C# will include four new features: support for "generics," which is a form of a C++ template that can help C# developers build software more quickly; support for "iterators," which help developers create new code; anonymous methods, which ease development of what’s known as "event-driven" code; and support for "partial types," which make it easier to use C# for building large projects.
God puts an apple tree in the middle of the Garden of Eden and says, do what you like guys, oh, but don''t eat the apple. Surprise surprise, they eat it and he leaps out from behind a bush shouting "Gotcha." It wouldn''t have made any difference if they hadn''t eaten it... because if you''re dealing with somebody who has the sort of mentality which likes leaving hats on the pavement with bricks under them you know perfectly well they won''t give up. They''ll get you in the end. -- Douglas Adams
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Advertisement
Interesting. Signals and slots any time soon, or are we confined to using the .Net framework messaging architecture only?

I guess it''s time to start learning the thing. I still won''t use it until Mono is operational about par, but I''ve got to look to the future...
I think they''re releasing this a bit early. I mean Visual Studio.NET was only released this year, and they''re going to release a new one only a year after? I mean, the features are nice and all that, but it''s times like this I wish I had a Universal MSDN subscription and didn''t have to buy new IDEs whenever they came out..

Oh, and we thought we had it bad with the ads:

There was another one there that actually hid some of the text so I had to cut and paste it into notepad just so could see it...

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.
The only problem about the genarics and other support is that it won''t be around until late 2003? I think that is when Yukon is going to be released... So learning C# now might help you but if you want to use generics it isn''t available yet... As for iterators they are avalible now, and so is the partial types (although this is "unsafe" code which means the type checker cannot find problems with it...) Anonymous methods? I really don''t know I havent heard about it so I can''t comment on it...
quote:Original post by djkno3
...learning C# now might help you but if you want to use generics it isn''t available yet...

I already have generics in C++, which I use for my production work right now (alongside a few scripting languages). I don''t need generics in C# now, though others may. I only need it when Mono is stable and usable.

quote:Anonymous methods? I really don''t know I havent heard about it so I can''t comment on it...

Very very nice Java feature:

Boolean SomeClass::someMethodThatTakesEventHandler(  ret_type eventHandler( param ) { /* code */ } );  
quote:Original post by Dean Harding
I think they''re releasing this a bit early.

I don''t think we will be seeing this for at least a year yet. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/productinfo/roadmap.asp. These changes are scheduled for "Visual Studio for Yukon" - they won''t be in Everett(1.1).

Btw - does anyone have an idea what they mean by "partial types"?

God puts an apple tree in the middle of the Garden of Eden and says, do what you like guys, oh, but don''t eat the apple. Surprise surprise, they eat it and he leaps out from behind a bush shouting "Gotcha." It wouldn''t have made any difference if they hadn''t eaten it... because if you''re dealing with somebody who has the sort of mentality which likes leaving hats on the pavement with bricks under them you know perfectly well they won''t give up. They''ll get you in the end. -- Douglas Adams
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
partial types has to deal with partially accepted code. Which means that the security access of the program running isn''t really trusted. So if you have a program running from a web application and it trys to call a method from a shared libary unless the library has a specification in it to allow "partial typing" then the program cannot call the method. This is how MS is trying to stop stuff like internet worms/viruses and stuff like that because if the app runs in an "untrusted" context it can''t have access to the normal shared libraries (dll''s). If the library allows access to partial types though you are kinda screwed. By default shared libries have to be "Strongly typed" which means they have the company that made them and such in the properties menu and the system admin can also disallow any "strongly typed" librarys from being shared if they do not have a trusted digital signature (eg from verisign)
I don''t think you need the universal subscription to get the new IDE - I think the next step down gets you that. Doesn''t Universal include all the stuff, like office-dev, BizTalk, etc... or is that something else where you get *everything*.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Universal is the "Enterprise archetect" (sp) version (that''s what I call it because that''s what version of VS .NET you get with it and yes it has pretty much everything you ever wanted from MS. The next step down is "Enterprise" and it gives you the Enterprise edition of VS.NET and the lowest you can go is "Professional" to get a copy of VS.NET and of course it gives you the professional version of VS .NET. Prices are horrible though. $2799 for universal, $2199 Enterprise, $1199 for professional (USD) but you can usually find them a bit cheaper if you look around on the net... seeing as there are MSDN suscription resellers around. Also if you have a licenced copy of any of the VS products from 97 on you can qualify for a discount.
What about this new version? I read someone here saying it''d be available quite cheap to existing users, is that right? Or is it just the regular discounted price? I''m really interested in this "98% ISO compliant C++ compiler" that supposed to be in the next version...

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement