3D Game Engine

Started by
4 comments, last by conan3 21 years, 5 months ago
My production group (Scribblesoft) is currently in the process of developing an Action-Adventure RPG (current project name "Lore"). Much of the game will revolve around stealth, so lighting, sound direction and accurate terrain shapes are important in both indoor and outdoor environments. Additionally we are hoping to include many particle and wave special effects. Although an ambitious task we also hope to form a seamless world in which the character can move from city to countryside to other cities with little or hopefully no loading time. One of the things we are looking into at this point in the process is a good 3d game engine or highly developed SDK as a base for the program. I've done much surfing on the net looking at various engines but I thought perhaps someone here would have a good opinion on which engine might be the best to use. Cost is always a factor, and while free is a great number, any engine under $10 000 should be quite acceptable. Has anyone had a good experience with a certain engine before? Any suggestions on the best ones for what we are looking for? Any particular advice on what I should be looking for and what to avoid? Thanks a lot. Jonathan Neuhold Lead Game Designer Scribblesoft [edited by - conan3 on November 8, 2002 11:10:33 PM]
Advertisement
I highly reccomend 3D GameStudio A5 Pro. Go to www.3dgamestudio.com for more info.

- LancingFury
President of CharSoft
Thank you, I had not found that site yet. It certainly looks very interesting. Has anyone else had an experience with this engine?

Some of the other engines I''ve been looking at include Power Renderer SDK (and the upcoming X version), the Tourque engine that drives Tribes 2 and "The Nebula Device" that''s used in Project Nomads (though I get the feeling that last one is more a bunch of helpful routines than a full blown engine). Anyone have any knowledge of these engines? Pros? Cons?

Thanks
Jonanthan Neuhold
Lead Game Designer
Scribblesoft
Does no one else have any opinions? Any thoughts or advice would help.

Thanks

Jonathan Neuhold
Lead Game Designer
Scribblesoft
I don''t think the 3d GameStudio is right for you. I don''t believe it''s a good enough engine for what you want. I''m not impressed with it''s graphical quality or performance.

Power Render will certainly do all of that, although I don''t remember if it includes sound. If not you could just use openAL with it.

Auran Jet (www.auran.com) is another option, as is Cipher (www.synapticsoup.com). Both have trial versions available.

The Torque engine is definitely another option, especially due to its scripting language. It would need heavy modifications to be used for an MMPOG. It does include 3d sound and an excellent particle engine and you can do seamless interior and exterior games. That is what it''s primarly used for as it is the engine used for Tribes 2.

All of these engines have trial versions that you can download. Torque has the Realm Wars demo that you can grab and modify through the scripting language.

Hope that helps.
---------------------http://www.stodge.net
I checked out the cipher engine. It seems very good. Does anyone else have any knowledge of this engine?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement