Your Ideas

Started by
20 comments, last by Kugels 21 years, 5 months ago
I''m just curious what sorts of ideas people out there have for game''s they''d like to make. Just go ahead and say anything you''ve been thinking of, regardless of feasibility. I''m just interested in seeing ideas, not worrying about actually making the game.
Advertisement
A FPS/RTS hybred - completely fantasy basied...no real weapons or armed forces structures.

The RTS player is represented by a giant "brain" and the FPS players are "units"...the goal is to destroy the opposeing sides "brain"...

The "brain" cannot move on it''s own (but can be pushed around by the units)...basicly the "brain" player sets ''waypoints'' for the "units" to reach, and generaly guides players, sets goals ("defend me", "attack over here", etc.)...additionaly the "Brain" player gives "unit" players power-ups that allow the "unit" to advance up the tech tree.

The "units" basicly do all the leg work...when a "unit" recieves a ''waypoint'' a pointer appears on their screen indicateing where this is, and when they get close enough the way point appears as some sort of wireframe sphere...if the player, while inside this sphere, frags a enemy "unit" the brain recieves "resource points" (that allow the "brain" to give the "units" power-ups)...so the idea is that both the "units" players and "brain" player must work together as a team to win the game.

The "units" are actualy more like creatures then traditional war machines...each "unit" has a specialty basied around the way they move and attack (the weapons are part of the "unit" and can''t be changed except by morphing through power-ups into a different "unit" type).

The game would take place entirely outdoors with a relitivly small but freely deformable map...some of the "units" can raise or lower the terrain, thus createing walls, mountains, and valleys.

For example one "unit" can fly (Joust like) and if powered-up enough it can dig its claws into the ground, fly strait up pulling the ground in the process (createing a mountain)...another "unit" is a big hulking beast with huge hammers for hands...it can strike the ground, createing a earthquake ripple that travels out in a circle around the player before eventualy comeing to a rest once it reaches a hundred foot diameter (so it basicly creates a crater as seen on the moon)...another "unit" is able to burrow under the ground, createing wall like pathways as it moves (like Bugs Bunny does, but on a larger scale).

Obviously the game would be purposely more "arcade fun" like then anything resembleing real life
Current Ideas rolling around in my head:
-Mod one of the current engines to make Pac-Man from a FPS perspective.
-Shadowrun FPS(mod)

Or for full-blown projects:
-I would love to see a horror game made for the PC, from a third-person perspective, that takes all the rules and breaks them. BMX XXX has a good start in expanding games to more ''adult'' audiences, but what I want will break all that. I want gore, I want macabre cutscenes. Stuff that will not only immerse you in the pure terror and frightening nature of the game, but shock you and scare you. I want a game where player have to get up and go read a book or watch TV because they''re too scared to go on.
My original thoughts on this game are about half-way down the page
-Urban Combat done right.

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
-The Navidson Record! The best film you''ll never see!
quote:Original post by Run_The_Shadows
-Shadowrun FPS(mod)

I would love a Shadowrun FPS but I bet its impact would be lessened by Neocron, Deus Ex, and Anarchy Online.

quote:-I would love to see a horror game made for the PC, from a third-person perspective, that takes all the rules and breaks them.

I don't know if you've read this thread on Fear. Some interesting ideas were brought up. I've been working on a detailed design document for a horror game. Interested in collaborating at all?

[edited by - beantas on November 9, 2002 12:56:02 PM]
-Wow, hey, you registered on my birthday. Nifty.
-I usually stick to the Lounge, Design got boring for me a year ago, but I occasionally pop in to see if there''s anything interesting being discussed. This caught my eye.
-Shadowrun FPS *would* be possible, as none of the designs you''ve listed really get the gritty cyberpunk down. They''re all chrome-punk(I just made that up)where everything is flashy and nifty and cool. A well done Shadowrun game would take the setting of Deus Ex and devolve it 100x more into a chaotic world. No flashy shiny rocket launchers, just a trusty dull gunmetal Predator. And if nothing else, Shadowrun fuses that sci-fi-yet-not world with fantasy, which we all know is just something online gamers drool for. A troll in a beat up leather biker jacket carrying around a rusted and chipped Ares Alpha assault rifle is so much different than JC Denton in his flashy trenchcoat with a pretty generic pistol or crossbow. If I ever make it in this industry, I will push so hard for a new Shadowrun game. The fanbase is there. Just look at the other major FASA title - Battletech. Huge property.
-Browsing the thread and it''s interesting. My schedule is often busy and hectic on-and-off, but I''d love to contribute if nothing more than tossing ideas around once in a while.
Feel free to catch me on AIM: RunTheShadows or email me.

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
-The Navidson Record! The best film you''ll never see!
Cool. I thought this thread would get completely ignored.

Here's my idea: The game is called Comfort. It would take place in very abstracted/stylized generic big cities. The goal in each is to get to sleep. Sounds dumb, I know. You would have a comfort meter and various activities/situations would either raise or lower your comfort. You can't sleep(and thereby finish the level) until your comfort is high enough. The things that affect your comfort would be like abstracted versions of reas-world activities. Your character could enter a building labelled 'Work' and perform some mundane task for a few seconds. Which would exchange comfort for money, which could then be used in various stores. Also important to the game are the people in the city, or rather whatever gets used to represent people. Some would be annoying and follow you around making obnoxious noises, lowering your comfort. Some would be able to represent friends and increase your comfort while you are in their presense...haven't worked out how friends would work exactly... also the opposite sex could be more exaggerated friends, and you could only have one at a time. If you tried to make another friend of opposite sex they would both get mad(I was thinking that they might even explode) and you would suffer a major drop in comfort.

To make it really work there would be many many factors affecting your comfort, such as being in crowds, being in a pretty room, how much money you have, being turned down when trying to make a friend, eating, etc. I picture the game played from either top-down with building roofs disappearing when you enter or have a third-person persective with the camera following your character.

The part of the idea that might not be great: Rage mode. when you get reall really low comfort your character turns red and gets to postal with some weapon randomly chosen when entering rage mode(rocket launcher, katana, shoot lightning bolts from
hands) rage mode wouldn't last long, and your comfort would get notched up a bit so that it doesn't happen again immediately. I think it doesn't really it all that well with the game idea. People would probably think that rage mode is the best part, I'm afraid...

p.s. I REALLY shouldn't have posted on that old extreme-violence thread.

[edited by - Kugels on November 9, 2002 8:37:42 PM]
@ MSW, that sounds like a really solid game idea. very original.
you got a design doc for it?

Dreddnafious Maelstrom

"If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of Giants"

Sir Isaac Newton
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
Sounds kind of like the sims (minus a lot of stuff) except with one character.
yeah...I picture it more like GTA though, because it is more about running around in a city doing Sims-ish stuff to who or whatever you want. But I guess it is still Sims-ish stuff you''re doing...
I was thinking GTA+ the sims actually (because of the city and running around.) It would be interesting, if not as a full game as part of a GTAish RPG or something.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement