A particular moderator in the Lounge

Started by
8 comments, last by Strife 21 years, 5 months ago
Okay, I''ve tried to prove that this wasn''t true, but that didn''t work, and instead I was proved right. I tried to have open discussion on this, but it was swiftly closed. I''ve tried emailing Dave, but he has neither done anything about it, nor emailed me back (yet, anyway). There is a certain moderator that I''m having a problem with in the Lounge, one who closes many topics that don''t have a legitimate reason to be closed, while keeping others that SHOULD be closed open. In addition, he is editing people''s posts to the extreme, rather than just using his authority to edit out profanity or something of the sort. Is anyone as upset about this as me?
Advertisement
quote:Original post by CmndrM
Is anyone as upset about this as me?

Probably not, since this is a private website. You chose the appropriate channels by emailing Dave, but he has a lot of responsibilities and gets a ton of email so may not respond for a long, looong time.

Why not email another one of the moderators that you think is reasonable? We have a mailing list where we can discuss the issue privately. Making a public-but-veiled accusation like this only serves to create suspicion and more discord - and we already have enough of that.

I''d be happy to bring it up with whomever it is (privately first) if you''d like. Email me (seyisonaiya at hotmail dot com) if you find that agreeable.
quote:You chose the appropriate channels by emailing Dave, but he has a lot of responsibilities and gets a ton of email so may not respond for a long, looong time.

That''s why I added that "yet, anyway" disclaimer. I understand that he''s busy.

quote:Why not email another one of the moderators that you think is reasonable? We have a mailing list where we can discuss the issue privately. Making a public-but-veiled accusation like this only serves to create suspicion and more discord - and we already have enough of that.

Fair enough, but so far, every time I''ve tried something along these lines (obviously not the exact thing, or you''d have heard of it more), I seem to be told that I don''t know what I''m talking about. In other words, I doubt that anything will come about.

Maybe I''m overreacting. I understand that this is a privately owned website, and honestly, until recently, I had absolutely no problems with any of the moderators. But I do become a bit upset when they don''t even allow open discussion in order for some clarification. I become a bit more upset when they edit peoples'' posts such that their original intent is completely gone, and is replaced by something insulting to that user, or something just stupid anyway.

I suppose I''ll just give it a break for now. If this continues to happen, though, I''ll be forced to either bring it up again, or just give up on Gamedev once and for all. I''d rather it not come to the latter, but if the problems that are occurring here don''t stop, I don''t see what else I can do as a regular member.
Fair enough, but so far, every time I''ve tried something along these lines (obviously not the exact thing, or you''d have heard of it more), I seem to be told that I don''t know what I''m talking about. In other words, I doubt that anything will come about.

Maybe I''m overreacting. I understand that this is a privately owned website, and honestly, until recently, I had absolutely no problems with any of the moderators. But I do become a bit upset when they don''t even allow open discussion in order for some clarification. I become a bit more upset when they edit peoples'' posts such that their original intent is completely gone, and is replaced by something insulting to that user, or something just stupid anyway.

For a while the Lounge was kind of a no-man''s land since Dwarfsoft was on extended hiatus, which resulted in different moderators assuming the Lounge as part of their responsibilities - with different policies and inconsistent results. With the appointment of Benjamin Bunny (IIRC) as Lounge mod, he can set a new policy for the Lounge and is primarily responsible for its state. It may take a little while for other mods to back off, but this is a problem that has been realized, discussed and hopefully addressed satisfactorily.

quote:I suppose I''ll just give it a break for now. If this continues to happen, though, I''ll be forced to either bring it up again, or just give up on Gamedev once and for all. I''d rather it not come to the latter, but if the problems that are occurring here don''t stop, I don''t see what else I can do as a regular member.

Believe it or not, your opinion matters. I''ve been just as frustrated with things as you have - probably even more so - and have thought of leaving GameDev as well, but for more complex reasons. However, everyone can''t up and leave, especially all at once. Since I''m so greedy in other aspects of life, I guess giving a little something back here will make my day of reckoning just a bit more favorable...
In addition, he is editing people''s posts to the extreme, rather than just using his authority to edit out profanity or something of the sort.

You mean this: (link)
Above is exactly what I have a problem with. Of course, no one will know this because MICHALSON WILL EDIT THIS POST AND YOU WILL NEVER SEE THIS AT ALL.

Oh, and emailing Dave hasn''t done anything, as he won''t even email me back.

Hate to break it too you, but that''s just *you* being stupid and jumping to an insane conclusion after seeing an obvious joke post by bishop_pass (it doesn''t even have the correct capitalization), something I had nothing to do with. Perhaps the reason Dave hasn''t taken the time out of his busy day to respond to you is because he already realizes that you''re looking for an evil conspiracy that isn''t there, and doesn''t want to waste his time right now explaining childishly simple concepts to you.

There is a certain moderator that I''m having a problem with in the Lounge, one who closes many topics that don''t have a legitimate reason to be closed, while keeping others that SHOULD be closed open.

So apparently I''m moderating too much on some threads, but not enough on others? That sounds more like you''re applying your own rules to what should and shouldn''t be moderated and then expecting *one* moderator in particular to follow those invisible, ever changing rules. If a thread "should" be closed, don''t you think another mod would have done it if I hadn''t? Or is there yet another conspiracy, where I email other mods and threaten them not to close threads? "Why yes CmndrM, everything that you don''t like on Gamedev is the fault of one moderator. If something happens it''s his fault. If something *doesn''t* happen it''s also his fault again, as he obviously tied everyones hands". I guess I''m responsible for the Radeon ad too? Get a life.
Poor atttempt at cover...However, it''s become very apparent that you are altering posts not for moderation purposes but to misrepresent the original poster.

In one case you altered the bloody post to support your argument when previously it was against. You have been sent three classic examples and ignored them.

Seems to be that just because your a amateur whos never achieved jackshit you get defensive with people.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Poor atttempt at cover...However, it''s become very apparent that you are altering posts not for moderation purposes but to misrepresent the original poster.

In one case you altered the bloody post to support your argument when previously it was against. You have been sent three classic examples and ignored them.

Seems to be that just because your a amateur whos never achieved jackshit you get defensive with people.

Perhaps you could stop posting your unsupported claims anonymously? You already posted more messages here than a good number of registered members. If you want to actually be taken seriously rather than just being a troll in our community why don''t you register and start backing up your claims rather than posting lies under the assumption of anonymity.
What''s with all the Michalson bashing? He is a genius and also the best moderator in the universe. ALL HAIL MICHALSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edited by - Michalson on November 10, 2002 7:36:24 PM ]

And so, the evil religion thread stole the wonderful "What the Heck?" thread's throne. Truly a sad day for gamedev.
quote:Original post by evil sausage
What''s with all the Michalson bashing? He is a genius and also the best moderator in the universe. ALL HAIL MICHALSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edited by - Michalson on November 10, 2002 7:36:24 PM ]

*sigh* I know that you''re just having fun evil sausage (though you obviously haven''t been paying attention, I''ll already pointed out twice the capitalization issue for authentic edits by me), however as already shown there are *certain* people (mostly Anonymous Cowards) who are so eager to attack me and so blindingly ignorent/stupid that they''ll fall for your joke and make yet another post full of lies about me. I do this for free and am getting sick and tired of these little shits with no lifes trolling after me. MadKeithV and several moderators before him have resigned either completely or partially over the constant harassment that a small group of pathetic losers bring onto these boards.
Thread closed. If you have a grievance with a moderator, email a mod you trust/like/respect. Attach your name to your claim, and back it up with evidence on the forums. Thank you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement