• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dta1

Simple problem

This topic is 5757 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have 3 files. header.h

int x = 2;

main.cpp

#include <iostream.h>
#include "header.h"

int main()
{
   cout << x;
   return 0;
}

main2.cpp

#include <iostream.h>
#include "header.h"

int func()
{
   x = 4;
   cout << x;
   return 0;
}

And of course I get this error: Linking... main2.obj : error LNK2005: "int x" (?x@@3HA) already defined in main.obj Debug/TestProg.exe : fatal error LNK1169: one or more multiply defined symbols found Error executing link.exe. I know it must be very easy to fix, but how? [edited by - dta1 on November 9, 2002 7:57:55 AM] [edited by - dta1 on November 9, 2002 8:39:37 AM]

Advertisement
header.h:
 extern int x; 

main.cpp:
#include "header.h"
int x = 2;

main2.cpp:
#include "header.h"

None of that works (and I want x to be 2 in header.h).

But it works if I declare it as static (static int x = 2). But that doesn''t seem to be a good the way.

quote:
Original post by Pipo DeClown
header.h:

extern int x = 2;

main.cpp:

int x;
// x should be 2?

Sorry, can''t get that to work.
And yes, x should be two in main.cpp.

Guest Anonymous Poster
header.h

#ifndef HEADER_H
#define HEADER_H
int x=5;
#endif

quote:
None of that works (and I want x to be 2 in header.h)

which begs the questions: why do you want x to be 2 in header.h? what does it mean? why do you want a new variable x made in every file that header.h is included?

the explanation of oluseyi''s answer is this:

you want one copy of the variable x to be available to your program. by declaring x in a header you can include that header in places that need to know about x. the statement x = 2 is not a declaration though. it is a definition. whats that? there''s a difference?

the difference:
the declaration will tell your program that somewhere there exists a variable x. it will be able to find it when the program finally links.

the definition will actually declare and define the variable. that variable is the object. you can only have one of them. that''s why it''s a problem to put the definition in the header file.

the solution:
put a definition of the variable in one cpp file.
put a declaration of the variable as ''extern''. this means it will look for it elsewhere at link time (and hopefully find it defined in your cpp file)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!