Combining Octrees and BSP trees... is it possible?

Started by
32 comments, last by liquidAir 20 years, 8 months ago
quote:Original post by Ingenu
I think most do, not sure, just thinking about going upstairs makes your character move like it was on a non horizontal plane, but not on stairs...

stairs are a bad example... when you climb stairs and you have the feeling to climb on a plane (like in Q3), it''s stair climb smoothing, but when you go down, you''ll fall on each step (or if you also go down along a plane, it isn''t very realistic..)
Advertisement
Adding on to a way-old post... i was thinking about modifying my octree into an ABT and came across this. You said you compute your division locations via a neural net. How does this work?
Since yann seems to not be interested in giving me an answer, do any of you others know anything about this?

--===LITHIC===--
--===WWW.HaVoKsite.TK===--
quote:Original post by Lithic
Since yann seems to not be interested in giving me an answer, do any of you others know anything about this?

It not a question about me not being interested, but more that I can''t monitor each thread 24/7, only waiting for a question directed at me.

To answer your question: yes, I use(d) neural nets to get the location. But I can''t really go into the details, because:

A) I didn''t write the NN, so I don''t know all the details.
B) Neural net theory is an extremely vast and complex topic, that fills entire libraries. You can''t simpy explain that in a forum post.

If you are interested in NN theory, and how to apply them to mathematical minimization and optimization problems, there is lots of good literature available. This subject undergoes very active research, and lots of online resources are also available. Ask in the AI forum about some good pointers.

Besides this, I would strongly recommend using a conventional approach to get the division plane instead. Writing a NN solely for that task is total overkill. We happened to have one lying around, that was written for a related problem a long time ago, and so we just plugged it in. But it has many drawbacks, especially performance requirements.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement