Axis-angle "addition"

Started by
6 comments, last by kenki 21 years, 5 months ago
I'm currently working on implementing a project involving skeletal-animation, so I'm storing rotational info on the bones, using axis-angle as a representation. Now I'm wondering how to "add" a rotation to a previous one. As an example let's say I got a bone with a rotation and i want to rotate it around another axis. How do I add these rotations to get one single rotation? Thanks in advance. [edited by - kenki on November 9, 2002 12:55:29 PM]
Advertisement
You would use unit quaternions to represent the rotations, and multiply them toghether to combine their rotations

Compared to axis-angle (a,x,y,z), a quaternion is [ cos(a/2), x*sin(a/2), y*sin(a/2), z*sin(a/2) ] and has ''special'' multiplication rules that make it ''work right''.

One link taken from google : http://www.gsu.edu/~oprdeb/qtrn/rotation.html

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Is it really necessary to use quats? Having to convert back and forth every frame seems like a waste of CPU. It feels as though it should be possible to do directly in axis-angle... Does anybody know for sure if quats are really a necessity?
You have to convert back to a rotation matrix anyways - quats let you do it directly, without involving trig :

Quaternion [w,x,y,z]

Rotation Matrix
[ 1-2yy-2zz   2xy+2wz   2xz-2wy ][   2xy-2wz 1-2xx-2zz   2yz+2wx ][   2xz+2wy   2yz-2wx 1-2xx-2yy ] 

And yes, even glRotate and its DX equivalent HAVE to go back to rotation matrices - quaternions are essentially axis-angle with the trig already incorporated. In that respect, they are faster to use - you don't have to go back to axis-angle every frame, just use quaternions all the way.

edit - formatting

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]

[edited by - Fruny on November 9, 2002 1:15:06 PM]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Yes, I knew some of that, but I have a reluctancy to use quats as I don't like using things I don't fully understand (although I'm working on it). I understand axis/angle rotation a lot better than quats and thusly I prefer axis/angle. So until I find quaternions familiar to work with, is there a way to do it with axis/angle representation?
By the way, thanks for all the input so far!

[edited by - kenki on November 9, 2002 1:46:33 PM]
quote:Original post by kenki
Yes, I knew some of that, but I have a reluctancy to use quats as I don''t like using things I don''t fully understand (although I''m working on it)

Not that I am aware of, the only thing I could advise you to do is to try and work out the math, starting from the quats. That would be the best way to learn how they work.

Note that, mathematically, unit quaternions & multiplication exactly represent 3D rotations & composition.

I was beginning to think about that... However, I''m starting to lean towards implementing quaternions instead. It''s just that I have to rewrite quite a lot of code... *sigh*

By the way, how would I manipulate a gl-matrix? Is there a function or something?
Also a quat question: I''m supposed to multiply the matrix obtained by quat conversion with the current gl-matrix, is that correct?
quote:Original post by kenki
By the way, how would I manipulate a gl-matrix? Is there a function or something?
Also a quat question: I''m supposed to multiply the matrix obtained by quat conversion with the current gl-matrix, is that correct?

- glMultMatrix

- It depends whether your quaternion represents incremental rotation (difference between two frames) or the actual orientation (from, say, pointing down the Z axis).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement