• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Salamander

Hardware Alpha in DirectDraw?

This topic is 6931 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know of a way to do alpha blending in hardware using DirectDraw? It seems that the only way is to use Direct3D? Are there any articles on the net about this?

Advertisement
The gamedev article
"Using Direct3D For 2D Tile Rendering"
tells you how to setup Direct3D to do that.
DirectDraw just keeps on saying DDERR_UNSUPPORTED. Even in v7.
Also check out Tobias Lensing, "Enhanced 2D"
at http://members.xoom.com/dxfaq/

Maybe Microsoft will implement Alpha blending in DirectX 12

Until then, all you can do is this.

MELO

Yep. Use Direct3D. Its not too bad to use D3D for 2D stuff instead of DirectDraw. Because of driver implementations, you often find that newer cards (like the TNT2) implement older 2D features like color keys using 3D hardware (faking color keys with alpha channels for example).
Its best to just dive into D3D and make the most of it!

http://www.positech.co.uk

With D3DX, that comes with DX 7, it looks pretty easy to do you could try that, this is what i intend to do for my gfx engine.

+AA_970+

DirectDraw won''t support alpha blitting until hardware supports 2D alpha blits, and right now all the IHV''s are focusing on 3D, not 2D, so it''ll be quite a while, if ever.

Because IHV''s are pushing 3D so much, the way to get the fastest 2D is to use 3D.

Do your 2d blitting with D3D IM.

However, I have a feeling that AlphaBlt''s will be supported very soon in DDRaw. (fingers crossed).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!