VC 6 debugger and MFC...

Started by
9 comments, last by foofightr 21 years, 5 months ago
Does anyone know why the VC++ 6 debugger won''t show MFC objects like CFile, CString, etc? It literally does not know they exist, as in it says "unknown symbol" if you try to do a Quickwatch, and they appear as blank entries in the Variable window with their value being CXX0030: Error: expression cannot be evaluated The only way the debugger acknowledges their existance is if you have your Variable window tab set to "auto" then it tells you what the member functions returned (like "CString::GetLength() returned 3" or "CString::GetBuffer(0) returned "aaa") It''s only a visual thing, since the program still works as intended, it''s just that the debugger isn''t giving me any feedback on MFC objects, which makes debugging rather hard in some cases. Anyone know how to fix this?
Advertisement
bump?

surely someone knows...
my msvc6 has no such problem.
I don''t see why it would affect it, but what version are you using?
professional
Well I''m using Standard, but I can''t possibly believe Microsoft would be as cheap and nit-picky as to disable MFC support in the Standard debugger..

It''s gotta be something else...

Kinda hard debugging LZW compression code (heavy string usage) when you can''t see the strings
one last bump...
reinstall msvc? you can customize the way variables are expanded (so that you see "stuff" for CString, even though CString isn''t a char *), and maybe those settings got messed up.
how do you customize that??? I never changed any kind of setting like that (I would remember) so re-installing probably wouldn''t do anything
you have to install the source files for mfc

do you have, for example
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO\VC98\MFC\SRC\FILECORE.CPP

i think you can choose this during setup although i have the enterprise edition so that might not be available in your version.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement