Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Puzzle game question, tetris attack.

This topic is 5509 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I was curious about something on puzzle games such as Tetris Attack (or pokemon puzzle league for some of u). I thought making such a game would be (the usual stuff aside) relativily easy, because I thought the rules to the game were straightforward: Match up the right blocks to complete 3 or more and make combos if you can. So this basicaly means in coding terms having an array of sorts witht he blocks that every so often gets filled bottom up with new random blocks. The problem is a friend has pointed out to me that puzzle games are not just that, they are deceptivly hard, knowing anything is harder than i usually think, i would buy this. My question is, is puzzle games such as tetris attack (and heck even tetris) have real algorithsm for placing the blocksinto the game? It seems random, but is it? does the game have a random seed then play through a succesful game before, storing the blocks that worked to create mad combos in a an array and then does it copy from the "completeable" array into the real array when the time comes during the game execution? Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, theories on this? hell source code for tetris attack would be very nice to see too Thanks for any info y''all. Shane THomas

I made a very simple tetris clone, it takes some time to figure out how you want to represent everything and how you want to handle things like detecting when a block has hit something or how to rotate them, but after I got it thought out it was pretty straightforward coding it. I think that the nature of the game makes random blocks as good as somehow planning out which ones to give.

I never heard of Tetris Attack.

Perhaps your friend was referring to designing puzzle games, which can be quite hard when you want an original idea. When Pajitnov made Tetris, he was originally inspired by pentominoes, but found that five-piece blocks didn''t work neay so well as the 4-piecers. So maybe it is that seemingly small decisions can have an enormous impact on a puzzle game. I''m just guessing though.

quote:
Original post by Kugels
I made a very simple tetris clone, it takes some time to figure out how you want to represent everything and how you want to handle things like detecting when a block has hit something or how to rotate them, but after I got it thought out it was pretty straightforward coding it.

That''s funny. I found the hard part to be the controls, graphics and various little quirks. It can be surprisingly difficult to get all the little details right even for such a simple game.

Or maybe I''m just a useless programmer

See i guess its not the idea behind the controls, collision detection etc that makes it hard its the theory behind the guts of the game. Like in tetris are the pieces that drop totally random or is there a special algorithm that selects what piece is dropped when its time to drop a piece...to make sure that u always have a "playbable" piece same with tetris attack, if u havent played it i reccomend finding a game that can be found in the showcase here called "Crack Attack", mas fun, and as silly as it sounds Pokemon Puzzle League for the n64 was great fun.
-Shane