Visual Basic VS C++

Started by
26 comments, last by Aerolithe 21 years, 5 months ago
About C#, is it currently being used for program devlopment? I thought it was primarily for web devlopment, is it intended to be primarily for web use? Does it seem to be growing fast? How closely related is it to C++? I am kind of intrested in C#, if it seems to have a future and there are plans for it being used as a language for a lot of programs and not just web stuff then its something I''d consider.
Advertisement
Aerolithe I got just the thing for ya. go to www.gametutorials.com they have the most in-depth explanation of C and C++, they assume you know nothing at all, and the best thing is it''s FREE!! I heard C# has a bunch of problems in it, it was just released earlier this year by microsoft. go with C++ and if you understand it well then you can make an easy transition to C#.

quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
No, there''s no free version of VB. Have you thought about Delphi (Object Pascal) as an alternative? The free version is pretty full-featured and it''s considered almost as fast to learn as VB. Most people seem to think it''s easier to go from Delphi to C++ than from VB to C++, if you want to do that later.

Visual Basic 6.0 Working Model Edition is free!

C# is used for windows and web apps (same as C++ is used for web apps and windows apps) The reason I think everyone thinks C# is only for weba apps is because of the name of VS (VS .NET) and that it can be used for ASP webpages kinda like a script or to make web apps that run on ASP. As for adoption by industry it is actually catching on quite well so far. Just ask anyone in the industry and the chance is that they are using it or had to learn it in case. I am actually surprised how fast corperations caught on to .NET. I stayed away from .NET because I thought that it was too fast for industry to actually adopt it but I was wrong. I Trying to find a job as a programmer and everyone was asking if I knew C# or .NET As for problems with the compiler, there is problems with it but that is normal, there are problems with the VC++ compiler too. I personally have not had any problem with it yet.

this shows how to make the computer beep 25 times at random frequencys.

using System;using System.Runtime.InteropServices;namespace Beep{	class Class1	{		[DllImport("kernel32.dll")]		public static extern bool Beep(int frequency, int duration);		static void Main(string[] args)		{			Random random = new Random();			for (int i = 0; i < 25; i++)			{				Beep(random.Next(10000), 100);			}		}	}}  

and a very simple one to show how to show a message box

using Systemusing System.Windows.Formsnamespace MySpace{	class Class1	{			static void Main()		{			MessageBox("Boo");	        }	}}  

The syntax is very close to C++ (I originally learned C++ before C#)
quote:Original post by Exellon
Last time I checked, Delphi 6 Personal isn''t free anymore

Hmmm, you''re right. That''s bad news.

quote:Original post by peter86
Visual Basic 6.0 Working Model Edition is free!

True, but IMHO it''s pretty lame. It doesn''t compile EXEs and there''s no online docs.
I alrady posted this in another topic but I didn''t see any damage in posting it here too. My main problem with just about every book out there is that it assumes you have some programming experience. I was wondering if learning something like BASIC would help, or if PHP would count as programming experience. I don''t know PHP completly, but I started learning some of it and if it would make it possible for me to get a book I can understand than I can continue learning it.

~Aerolithe
(New, improved signature comming soon. Release date in late 2003, but expect delays and cut out features)
Teach Yourslef C++ In 21 Days by Jesse Liberty asumes that you got no prior programming expereince. It''s a rather good book, it''ll of course not teach you everything there is to know (no book can) but it''ll give you a good start.
quote:Original post by Aerolithe
Hey, I have a minor delema. I want to get started with a programming language tommorow and I don''t know which to choose. I was orriginally planning on C++ but my friend just started VB so if I learned that we could work together on stuff and help eachother, and it has its fair share of advantages. I would like some opinions on this. Also, can I get a free VB compiler? I know I can get free C++ compilers but VB is by Microsoft so that might bring up issues. Any opinions/thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appriceated. You should probably know I have no programming experience, and any book recomendations are appriceated. Online tutorials are also appriceated. If anyone has read Learn Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Now I''d like to know what they thought, it''s what my friend has and he thinks its pretty good so far.

It''s a matter of choice. Select the one you want and stay with it. Most people( not all, most ) here prefer C/C++ to Basic but hey, that''s their choices.

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com]
[Cyberdrek | ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement