Visual Basic VS C++

Started by
26 comments, last by Aerolithe 21 years, 5 months ago
Hey, I have a minor delema. I want to get started with a programming language tommorow and I don't know which to choose. I was orriginally planning on C++ but my friend just started VB so if I learned that we could work together on stuff and help eachother, and it has its fair share of advantages. I would like some opinions on this. Also, can I get a free VB compiler? I know I can get free C++ compilers but VB is by Microsoft so that might bring up issues. Any opinions/thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appriceated. You should probably know I have no programming experience, and any book recomendations are appriceated. Online tutorials are also appriceated. If anyone has read Learn Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Now I'd like to know what they thought, it's what my friend has and he thinks its pretty good so far. ~Aerolithe (New, improved signature comming soon. Release date in late 2003, but expect delays and cut out features) [edited by - Aerolithe on November 9, 2002 12:24:37 AM]
Advertisement
I have used visual basic and I don''t like it but that is my opinion. I never did get DX working for it though.
Nick
Nick
I used to program some in VB (for school) and I''m of two minds of it. It''s cool that you can rather quickly learn the basic and throw togheter some pretty advanced programs with it. But on the other hand it''s (IMHO) not a very nice and structurated language and it gives bad programming habits (e.g the fact that all veraibles are atomatical set to 0 when created and such).
The bottom line is that for something relativly simple (e.g a costomized notepad) I''d go with VB, but I''d never dream of trying to write a more complex game it in.
No, there''s no free version of VB. Have you thought about Delphi (Object Pascal) as an alternative? The free version is pretty full-featured and it''s considered almost as fast to learn as VB. Most people seem to think it''s easier to go from Delphi to C++ than from VB to C++, if you want to do that later.
I am going to go with C++ and my friend is probably gonna switch to it. Thanks for your help.
good choice! you''ll be pleased. it''s a great language.
Air-Conditioners are like computers. They stop working when you open windows.
Those two are my favorite languages. I learn''t Visual Basic first and found that it was very easy to make an application with lots of functionality. However the VB language has its drawbacks it is slow and lacks the functionality that C++ can give you. C++ is IMHO a harder language to learn, so you may be better off with Visual Basic.
Hmmm... If you have absolutely no programming experience whatsoever, diving straight into C++ may get you stuck quite early... VB is a lot easier to learn if you haven''t programmed before... It''s more forgiving of errors and lets you build thing quickly and easily. Plus it''s a good way to step up to a more advanced language (like C++), later on.
I dont have time to learn Visual Basic just so learning C++ will be easier. I wouldn''t even use Visual Basic and there is no way in hell I can afford the compiler. The books are pushing it. I have no job and about $50 right now. I need the name of a good C++ book that assumes I know absolutely nothing at all about programming I can not stress enough that it has to assume I am starting with no programming experience. Once again, it must assume that I DO NOT KNOW C. Thanks. Any help would be vrey greatly appriceated.
Firstly, I''d go with Delphi over VB any day. It''s just as easy to use, WAY faster and it is actually a decent language to do complex programming in, even game programming (Age of Wonders and AoW2 for example are in Delphi).

Secondly if you go with C++ right away, I''d recommend "C++ The Complete Reference" by Herbert Schildt. It may be a bit tricky right off the bat, but it will teach you OO principles from ground up, which is a good thing. Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement