OpenGL, which book is the best to learn it ?

Started by
8 comments, last by Darthvim 21 years, 5 months ago
Hello, i thought of buying a new OpenGL book. I don''t know which one is good and which are bad, please tell me your opinion about the books... Thanks
Advertisement
If you have prior programming experience then I would suggest the red book. Best there is
yeah i red it but it is a bit outdated in my opinion they should release a second version with a description of all the new available extensions
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
If you haven''t already i suggust reading the NeHe tutorials - ive been programming in OpenGL for aoubt 3 years now and i still dont own a single programming book. The net is the best resource.

"Free advice is seldom cheap."
-- Rule of Acquisition #59
It depends on what you plan on doing.

The red book is the best to learn from if your planning to use OpenGL on mulitple platforms. It really don't discuss implementation specific features. Theres stuff of that nature at the end, but not in a tutorial form. It's a good book. I'm still reading it. I'm on chapter 9. I would give it a 9/10 from what I read so far

OpenGL SuperBible is more suited for the Windows OGL programmer.
They claim it can be used as a guide for developing on other OS', but by chapter 7 you're pretty much in Windows terroritory. It's an ok book, not as detailed as the Red book IMHO. I would give it a 8/10

OpenGL Game Programming is like SuperBible, but is more Windows and game oriented. It's a great book to use if you want to use OGL for game programming, but a lot of code and explanations look very familiar. I don't know if it's me, or the explanations and code are regurgitations of NeHe articles. I would give it a 7-7.5/10

I don't know about the fourth OGL book, OpenGL Primer

[edited by - Brian Jones on November 10, 2002 9:26:08 PM]
I don't have a signature
The Primer is HORRIBLE. i hate it.

i am learning opengl through [OpenGL Game Programming]. I think it''s GREAT. it''s really helpful, and it''s easy to understand if you''re a newbie to game development. But, if you want to get really advanced, and not just learn the basics, get Red Book.

hope this helps!

-sab
Air-Conditioners are like computers. They stop working when you open windows.
The Red Book is available online for you to peruse.

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

I think that OpenGL Game Programming is a great book to learn OpenGL. It is specific to Windows, but IMHO and as stated earlier, Windows is dominated, and its not that important to develop for all platforms.

My next highest recommendation is the OpenGL Programming Guide. That book is platform independent, and seems to be the source of the first few chapters of OpenGL code in the previous book.

"Ogun''s Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.
"Ogun's Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.
thanks for all the posts
Being multiplatform may not be that important to game programming now, but M$ and Windows will not live forever. Also, there our other heavily used game platforms out there that aren''t windows (Game Cube, PS2, Graphing Calculators....)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement