MS VISUAL C++

Started by
7 comments, last by Gameplayer 21 years, 5 months ago
What is the differance between V6.0 And .Net Which is better?
You should listen to me, im 'Special'.Or so my physiatrist said.
Advertisement
VC.NET is VC 7.0, ergo it''s newer. I personally am neutral between the two, but that''s probably because I don''t develop massive projects or use all the features of the IDE. VC 6 is probably cheaper now, if that has any effect on things (though the Standard Versions of either will probably cost you 90-100 USD each).

I use VC.NET for all my coding, but if I hadn''t gotten it cheap, I''d still be merrily hacking away on VC6. It''s a matter of wherewithal and personal preference.

Peace,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

I dont know if i will program games or software, probably games,
but i dont know.
Wich would be best?
Money is not that important, prefer to pay less, but if ittl benifit me then ill pay more.
quote:Original post by Gameplayer
I dont know if i will program games or software, probably games, but i dont know.

Are you a beginner? There really isn''t any reason to buy either version then. Buy one of those "teach yourself Visual C++ in xx days" books and get the Learning Edition on the CD. If you then decide to go on with C++, you can purchase a more advanced (and more expensive) compiler/IDE.

If you''re not a beginner, then I''d recommend MSVC.Net simply because it has better out-of-the box standards compliance and IntelliSense - both still nowhere near perfect.

quote:Which would be best?

The "best" is whichever best suits your needs. What are your needs?
quote:Original post by Gameplayer
I dont know if i will program games or software, probably games,
but i dont know.

I don''t know if anyone''s told you this, but computer games *are* software.
Ive already got the intro edition, but it wont alow standalone files

I *know* that, you *know* what i ment.
quote:Original post by Oluseyi
If you''re not a beginner, then I''d recommend MSVC.Net simply because it has better out-of-the box standards compliance and IntelliSense - both still nowhere near perfect.

I hear that an upcoming, updated version of VC++.NET will have vastly improved standards compliance, quoted as 98% as opposed to 90%, and apparently MS claims that it will be compliant enough to compile the boost and Loki libraries, among other things. I just wonder how expensive this version will be, and when it''ll be released ...?
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-965046.html
It answers the "when", and the "what", to some extent.

Cédric
I have no clue how much the updated version as a whole will be but if you allready have VS.NET then the upgrade will be about $30 but only for a limited time. As for the standards compilence it is what they say it is very much better as for those specific libraries I don''t know, I''ve never tried to use them but it does work with FMOD :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement