what is a good way to start developing?

Started by
12 comments, last by Cybercabra 21 years, 5 months ago
I''m new here and I have absolutely no education and no idea what to do. I know that it''s good to know C/C++ (which I am not familiar with), but what else does it take?
Advertisement
just start out with that. get a simple compiler and a book (classes are better tho). Once you learned console programming (no graphics, runs in a dos window) then start learning "windows programming" There are very few good books on the specific subject, but "Zen of Direct3D Game Programming" covers it clearly and goes into advanced graphic programming.

-dtekfoo
I don''t mean to sound like an idiot, but I didn''t understand a single word you just said. Lemme be more specific........ how would I go about (with book learning and all) making an RPG?
whoa! slow down there. your jumping the gun abit. dtekfoo, is giving you a overview of how you should go about learning. start with c/c++ you''ll need to get a good grasp of that first before you can even think about making an rpg. then learn how to program windows, (this is based on c/c++, so its not like learning another language, tho some disagree ). from there you can begin your journey into graphics programming, again most graphics languages are based on c/c++. startin to see why learning c/c++ is a good thing? hope this helps

Get busy livin'' or get busy dyin''... - Shawshank Redemption
Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'... - Shawshank RedemptionIf a man is talking in the forest, and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong? - UnknownFulcrum
can anyone give me an example of C/C++ code?
#include <iostream.h>

int main()
{
cout << "Hello World!";
return 0;
}

Thats probably the most basic code you''ll see that actually does some thing. What it does is it prints Hello world! to the screen in a console window.

Hibiki
Wheres the any key?

find your element
at mutedfaith.com.
<º>
HibikiWheres the any key?www.geocities.com/dragongames123/home.html
find your elementat mutedfaith.com.<º>
from now on, instead of saying "It''s greek to me" when I don''t understand, I''ll just say "it''s C++ to me". J/K. Can anyone tell me anything about a program called Multimedia Fussion?
quote:
#include &ltiostream.h>

/me shouts FRUNY! Then goes and hides

quote:Original post by hibiki_konzaki
#include <iostream.h>

Nooooo! stdio.h!!

quote:Original post by Cybercabra
I''m new here and I have absolutely no education and no idea what to do.

That''s OK, a lot of enthusiasm and a bit of resourcefulness can carry you a long way.
quote:
I know that it''s good to know C/C++

That''s a highly debatable point. Although C and C++ are most commonly used for writing games, that doesn''t automatically mean they are the best languages for learning programming, or for writing games.
quote:
(which I am not familiar with), but what else does it take?

I''d recommend that you go to The Python Language Website and have a mooch around. You can download the Python runtime, complete with interpreter and libraries, all for free. You can also find several good tutorials from the site. In addition, there are various libraries, like PyGame, which are free and will help you to get up and running with writing games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement