Question about Jim's Core_System.h

Started by
15 comments, last by wiseachoo 21 years, 5 months ago
Chapter 10, Jims Book. I'm attempting to use his cApplication object with my own cApp, however I noticed the application window doesn't stay open. After debugging it, I found where the problem is. Just before entering the message pump, there is the line of code if(Init() == TRUE){ //enter message pump here //... } It never enters the message pump. I'm sure i'll figure this out on my own, but nevertheless, if anyone has already gone through this, feel free to help. By the way, has anyone here used all of Jim's game engine for their own games yet? I feel its a great place to start. 'Chris [edited by - wiseachoo on November 10, 2002 11:25:22 PM]
Advertisement
It''s the return value from the Init function. Make sure it returns TRUE.
Thanks Jim, I just realized that it was the Init() of my cApp since I just caught glance of the virtual Init() in your cApplication. Thanks for your assistance either way. Not that your opinion is bias since its your own book, but would you recommend I write my first game using your engine? I''m a very experienced C/C++ programmer, but still trying to conquer the first game leap using DirectX. I''d ''like'' to write my first game in 3d, but something within scope of my understandings and not too unreasonable (since I realize that is the #1 cause for not completing game projects for most people - unrealistic goals initially). Good book by the way, it''s a great pleasure to read.

''Chris
quote:Original post by wiseachoo
By the way, has anyone here used all of Jim''s game engine for their own games yet?

Yep. It''s very useful stuff.

pan narrans
Study + Hard Work + Loud Profanity = Good Code
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone
I've done some demos with it and plan to use it in the future, but I had to go back and make my FIRST game more simple. Instead of trying to manage a full RPG as your first game, I'd recommend the gamedev "For Beginners" section. I'm currently working on Breakout (I skipped Tetris. I can't stand it ).

I did alot of "demos" over the last 2 years, and have never completed a game. Keeping your first game small, then progressively incrementing the difficulty until you feel you are ready to manage a RPG will be much more productive for you in the long run. Yeah, Breakout is .. well, what it is. Finishing projects is very important. Just my opinion. Two years of frustrations summed up in 2 paragraphs . I would hope that you can learn from my hard knocks.

Good luck.

Much greatness is achieved thru perseverance and faith.

[edited by - Paladin__ on November 11, 2002 8:15:48 AM]
quote:Original post by Paladin__
I had to go back and make my FIRST game more simple. Instead of trying to manage a full RPG as your first game...

The code really isn''t that specific, you don''t have to use it just for RPGs. I used the Windows and DirectX wrapper code as a jumping off point for my first, small games: pong and tetris. So long as you make sure you understand what you''re using, you can use the wrappers, and then you are able to concentrate on game rather than system specifics.

pan narrans
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone
pan: Precisely, my intentions aren''t even to write an RPG at this time. I am focusing on using his Core_System and Core_Graphics components so that I can concentrate slightly more on the ''game'' as opposed to the low-level areas of DirectX. One thing I came across last night, after using his cVertexBuffer to create a test square for rendering, the square did appear where I wanted it to, however the background behind the square was a ton of scrolling alternating green bars...This isn''t the first time i''ve seen this, but I forgot how I fixed it a while back. Anyone have a quick fix off the top of their head?

I haven''t dug too deep into the engine so there can only be so many things causing it at this point. I''ve basically only implemented a cGraphics object along with a cVertexBuffer object to for holding the vertices for my square...I never had any ''scrolling problems'' when I implemented it all by hand, but I''d like to narrow down the bug so that I can start to learn all of the engine functionality. Thanks guys.

''Chris
hmm, I agree that some parts like the Graphics Core and System Core are not RPG based, but at the same time, it''s good to understand the basics outside his code. i.e. when DirectX 9 comes out, are you going to upgrade the Graphics and System Core?

I think if you alienate yourself from DirectX code, you COULD find yourself in a pinch come upgrade time.

I personally love Jim''s Core classes and will use them myself, and I agree, Core_System will probably never change. Just a thought. As long as you understand DirectX, I think you''re fine either way.

quote:Original post by Paladin__
hmm, I agree that some parts like the Graphics Core and System Core are not RPG based.

I''m pretty sure that many types of games use characters, triggers, scripts, barriers, frustums, automaps, nodetrees...

quote:but at the same time, it''s good to understand the basics outside his code.

Yes, hence: "So long as you make sure you understand what you''re using"

quote:when DirectX 9 comes out, are you going to upgrade the Graphics and System Core?

Yes, that''s the point of having a seperate wrapper. It can be updated independantly of the game code.

quote:I think if you alienate yourself from DirectX code, you COULD find yourself in a pinch come upgrade time.

I''m not advocating alienation. I''m suggesting you get to grips with the DX code, and THEN use it in your own projects. I experimented with each part of the graphics, sound, input, and system cores before moving on to a full game. Once onto a full game I wanted to concentrate on the game code rather than the system stuff so I used the provided wrappers. I made sure I understood the DX stuff though, so I''ll have no problem updating my wrappers (which are already considerably revised anyway).

quote:As long as you understand DirectX, I think you''re fine either way.

Exactly. Now I have two full games under my belt, I understand DX very well and I''m blasting through my third game project

pan narrans
Thanks for the input guys, what about my scrolling green bar issue? Anyone have any ideas?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement