Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hibiki_konzaki

Why do I have the dubest compiler ever?

OK, my compiler is stupid. I get these errors: :\program files\microsoft visual studio\myprojects\2drpg\2drpg.h(149) : warning C4091: '''' : ignored on left of ''int'' when no variable is declared c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\myprojects\2drpg\2drpg.h(149) : error C2143: syntax error : missing '';'' before ''constant'' on these lines: int Closing_Init(); int Closing(); and when I comment those out, I get them on: } int Closing() { The first lines of code are function headers in a header file, and the second is the end of one function, and the startof another. I have no idea in heck what it''s talking about. Hibiki Wheres the any key?

find your element at mutedfaith.com. <º>

i hate those dumb microsoft compilers. i like using

[http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html]

it''s really awesome. also, be sure to get the latest mingw headers from [mingw.sourceforge.net].

hope i was of some assistance.

HEY DON''T DIS DEV-C++!
jk!

lol. well, it''s not too unstable. project management aint good, but it''s not too bad. it''s an overall good compiler.

Those warning are most likely because you''ve done something wrong hibiki. The error is most likely in the code just prior to the ''int Closing_Init();'' line.

Hey ZE, what''s Dev-C++ is slower than what? I don''t think it''s slower than any MS IDE. And all the MS IDEs are unstable as well (helps alot if you disable intellisense, but then why use Visual Studio?)

Not from my experiences. Might just be my system, but it always locked after just a few seconds when manipulating multi-file projects. I must really be doing something wrong, because from what I''ve done, I don''t see how anyone could even get a basic game up in Dev-C++. Of course, this is post-version-4.5 release, which was actually a really nice build. If it''d had file tree support and they hadn''t rushed the 5.xx betas, they might''ve had a very competent package. As it is, I can''t stand it.

Peace,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

I''ve looked over the code around there alot, and nothing is wrong. I''ve also commented out all the code on either side of both places about 10 lines above and the Closing finction and the one above it, and rewrote them, plus all my function headers in that area, and I rewrote them, not copy and paste, and the errors still happen. Sometimes it does that and then stops after I reboot my computer, but it still hasn''t stopped. I''ve tried everything I can think of, but nothing works.

did you try rebuilding the entire project using the rebuild all command? sometiems it fixes annoying problems that come out of nowhere

Hmm learning OpenGL and C++ at the same time is like trying to learn french while in the middle of Paris

quote:

ZE:
I don''t see how anyone could even get a basic game up in Dev-C++.

Takes a bit more effort that''s all, the IDE isn''t the best but the compiler is fine. Also that version of gcc produces much faster code than MSVC++6 Standard (I just recently bought that and there is huge differences in speed, could just be my system of course). Pro will of course kick gcc''s ass I imagine, but I can''t afford that yet.

quote:
Original post by smart_idiot

I only have 4.9.6.8, are you from the future or something?

That's version 5 of Dev-C++...

Don't ask, I don't know why they called it 5 but hey that's what it is according to their web site..

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com]

[edited by - cyberdrek on November 11, 2002 12:07:08 PM]

quote:

Well, probably not.

What makes you say that? Could I see the evidence, then I won''t have to bother saving up, gcc does me fine but since often times I want to try out libraries and stuff (of course built with VC++) so it makes sense for me to at least own VC++6 SE, but the performance of code is pretty poor (at least so far).

Guest Anonymous Poster
Nothing wrong with the COmpiler. This is called a Cranial Interface Problem.

Basically, the problem is between the keyboard and the chair. If I had to guess at isolating it, I''d say the component that sits on the shoulders of the body sitting on the chair needs a upgrade.

Well, theres alot of code, and it can be downloaded at www.geocities.com/dragongames123/home.html

EDIT: Forgot to say that this page is in no way finished, it's just something I threw together in 5 minutes. Also, my code isn't all that commented, so it'll be kinda hard to sift through if u want to find out how it works.

[edited by - Hibiki_Konzaki on November 11, 2002 10:15:21 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
found the problem..
in resource.h you have:

#define Closing 105

then you #include "resource.h"

so when it gets to the function declaration for Closing(), it makes it 105()

don''t go around calling compilers dub.. reserve that word for lee scratch perry..