Why do I have the dubest compiler ever?

Started by
34 comments, last by hibiki_konzaki 21 years, 5 months ago
Possibilities :

- used an initialiser list with an inline constructor without providing a code block for that constructor

- missing semicolon after the class declaration - you're trying to tell your compiler that class whatever is the return type of the function - which fails since there is already an int.

- the preprocessor merges headers and source files into a single stream that is sent to the compiler. Don't be surprised if crap in the header causes an error in the source file.

Have a nice day

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]

[edited by - Fruny on November 12, 2002 3:29:11 AM]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Advertisement
Look, little of these arguements would exist if you were using Metrowerks Codewarrior. Now the academic version can''t be all that more expensive than the defunct visual studio or slower than the dev c++, well, not by much. Or is it simply that I love flaming microsoft.. Who knows really...

The Warrior Poet
When you see a fleeing poet, you know you''ve seen poetry in motion.
Look, little of these arguements would exist if you were using Metrowerks Codewarrior. Now the academic version can''t be all that more expensive than the defunct visual studio or slower than the dev c++, well, not by much. Or is it simply that I love flaming microsoft.. Who knows really...

The Warrior Poet
When you see a fleeing poet, you know you''ve seen poetry in motion.
quote:Original post by ragonastick
Question: Has anyone ever seen a person vs compiler battle where the person won?

if you''re referring to compiler bugs, yes, those exist. i saw a couple places in stlport, for instance, where comments point out broken things in certain compilers.

from my experience, i''ve had msvc generate weird code with speed optimizations, but i can''t say for sure that it was msvc bug. in a more recent case, it couldn''t generate a default ctor for one of my classes, but defining an empty default ctor helped.
Now this here is another reason to flame microsoft, you know how unreliable Internet Explorer is. My apologies for second post.

The Warrior Poet
When you see a fleeing poet, you know you've seen poetry in motion.

[edited by - The Warrior Poet on November 12, 2002 3:36:58 AM]
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
How so scaught? It was an explicit #define.

Because it was a #define, the compiler saw int 105() and freaked out in the only way it knew how.
If it was a const int, it would''ve assumedly complained about a duplicate symbol or something.
quote:This is a good reason why there are such things as naming conventions.

Indeed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement