• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nanoprobe

OpenGL OpenGL and hardware acceleration

This topic is 6941 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Help! I''m trying to find a way to use 3d cards in my OpenGL engine. I found the OpenGL.c and OpenGL.h files by Ryan Haski, but it looks like too much trouble and you can''t use glu functions. Is there another way?
- Nanoprobe

Colliderring.com

ICQ# 48856642

Advertisement
You only have to do the dynamic OpenGL initialization that Ryan''s code does if you want to seamlessly support older 3DFX cards (Voodoo1 & 2) without having to do any kludgey file renaming (renaming the 3dfxvgl OGL driver to OPENGL32.DLL, etc.)

For the purposes of learning, I suggest you stay away from that stuff for now. Perhaps also look into SDL and/or GLUT which will handle fairly easy platform abstraction so you dont need to worry about Windows-isms.

Oops - just noticed there was a separate forum for OpenGL related stuff. Guess I should pay more attention.

I want to stay away from GLUT and all that sort of thing for now (yes, I''m partly contradicting myself ), and I want to learn about DLLs and how they work, so I''m implementing it this way.

BTW, I now have a DOS box console that starts and prints out debugging messages. But I still only have a blank OpenGL window. :D

- Nanoprobe

Colliderring.com

ICQ# 48856642

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!