• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sunandshadow

What if the puzzles are social?

7 posts in this topic

What about a game where the puzzles primarily involve managing/manipulating the emotions and knowledge of the other (AI) characters (as opposed to manipulating objects)? Like the Sims played in first person, and you have to schmooze your way to being in charge. Would anyone other than me want to play this oddity? One could bill it as edutainment teaching people skills to geeks and gaming skills to extroverts... Is this a new genre, ''social''? Has anyone done such a thing? There are those games where you make dialogue choices that affect NPCs actions, but I don''t think those are quite the same. Anyone volunteer to write the AI?

quote:
Original post by sunandshadow

Is this a new genre, ''social''? Has anyone done such a thing? There are those games where you make dialogue choices that affect NPCs actions, but I don''t think those are quite the same.

Anyone volunteer to write the AI?

Hmmm... If you decide to try out this idea then be carefull with the design. I would NOT like to play a game where you could only "win" by being a slick, manipulating idiot tweeking other people to do your bidding.

The game should punish such playing style by having the AI characters revolt and should instead reward ''good'' social behaviour in some way.

I think it would be almost impossible to make AI good enough for the game to be playable, and even harder to make it actually fun to play.

Regards

nicba

I don''t think it would be all that new, unless you implemented it with some really complex AI. After all, many old RPGs and adventure games involve puzzles where you have to enlist the help of others. Mainly these were very simplistic quests ("get me the potion of XXX, and I help you") which doesn''t really count, but when you allow several different ways to achieve something, which some of them did, then you could class it as a ''social'' puzzle.

If you modelled moods and emotions really well, then maybe it would be quite different. But you''d need the player to be able to exhibit a wide variety of actions too. Not to mention that your game would probably be based on guesswork rather than science - modern psychology is still split on how we ''make'' people feel a certain way, and so you would have to either make an assumption which wouldn''t work for all people, or keep it fairly general.

quote:
Original post by Kylotan

I don''t think it would be all that new, unless you implemented it with some really complex AI.

If you modelled moods and emotions really well, then maybe it would be quite different. But you''d need the player to be able to exhibit a wide variety of actions too. Not to mention that your game would probably be based on guesswork rather than science - modern psychology is still split on how we ''make'' people feel a certain way, and so you would have to either make an assumption which wouldn''t work for all people, or keep it fairly general.

I was thinking of a really complex AI - I could see doing something like the way Creatures 3 tracks each creature''s pain/boredom/hunger/etc. levels and these mathematically determine the creatures actions. This could be done for more complex emotions, maintaining a variable file for each character that gives them individual personality, and reflects what your actions have done to their emotional state. Each character''s emotional state, in turn, could easily be made visible in their facial expression/body positioning. The thing that puzzles me is how to get this state to affect their dialogue/actions in a reasonable way.

quote:
Original post by nicba

Hmmm... If you decide to try out this idea then be carefull with the design. I would NOT like to play a game where you could only "win" by being a slick, manipulating idiot tweeking other people to do your bidding.

The game should punish such playing style by having the AI characters revolt and should instead reward ''good'' social behaviour in some way.

I agree. Do you think a tit-for-tat style algorythm seeded with a value from the character''s emotional state file would work?

The game I''m working on right now is sort of a building block for what you''re talking about. It doesn''t have very complex AI at all, but it has the basic idea of what you mean.

Like, instead of doing a bunch of wierd inventory and key-based puzzles to find some info, you might have to sneak up on someone and plant a bug on them ... or bait them into an empty place hold them at gunpoint. Not as complex and cool as stuff with really great AI could be, but it''s a step in the right direction.

Alex
Atypical Interactive
www.atypical-interactive.com

I''m working on a game that uses something like this. Non-player characters are governed by a multi-variable AI (Fear, friendship, temper, ect.) and the player is given 4 mood choices: Very Nice, Nice, Mean, and Very mean.

Of course, they aren''t actually called those, you really get 4 different script samples. Dozens of factors determine the results of the variables (a drawn weapon may raise fear, a bribe may raise friendliness, ect.) and you can only get the desired result by combining these factors to your advantage.

So in order to intimidate someone into doing something for you, you have to draw your sword, raise your voice, and blackmail them.

It''s important to note that both nice and mean directions can yield results, but only if done properly. However, the more neutral a position you take, the better a sense you get of what the right direction is the right one to take. Mean answers tend to backfire after a while, you get betrayed more often, but Nice answers tend to take longer and are tricky to maintain.

You would need a very advanced interface for this system to work. Good voice acting and motion capture so that players can tell the mood and tolerance of the people they interact with. However, this would be real "role playing" as opposed to the very entertaining narratives we call RPGs for some reason.