color keying

Started by
6 comments, last by gameprogrammerwiz 23 years, 11 months ago
ok, thnks to muzzfah (i think i spelled that right) i got my loop problem fixed...and i wrote a math function to display a map of 12x19 tiles. it works in a square type function, but with isometric tiles like so: <><><><><> <><><><><> <><><><><> <><><><><> <><><><><> this isnt exact, because of the spacing of the characters. but now i need to know how to color key. i found some sample code in a tutorial, but it didnt work. i dont think it was the full code though, because there was no string or integer to hold the RGB values. is there a way that i can point a color key to a specific surface and specify my own RGB value to blit out?
==============================
whats a signature?
htm[s]l[/s]
Advertisement
To set a color key for each bitmap you can use DDSetColorKey. This function is in ddutil.cpp. just include ddutil.h

g_pDDSPlayer = DDLoadBitmap(m_pddraw, szPlayer, 0, 0);
DDSetColorKey(g_pDDSPlayer, RGB(0, 0, 0));

Or you can just use the code below using the SetColorKey function in DDraw.

DDCOLORKEY ddck;
ddck.dwColorSpaceLowValue = RGB(0, 0, 0);
ddck.dwColorSpaceHighValue = ddck.dwColorSpaceLowValue;
g_pDDSPlayer->SetColorKey(DDCKEY_SRCBLT, &ddck);

PigHeaded

ack, that didnt work, pigheadded. im not sure that i was putting the code in the right place. would that matter at all? if you need the code to look at it i can email it to you.
==============================
whats a signature?
htm[s]l[/s]
Go Ahead and email me the code. I''ll take a look and see what I can do.

PigHeaded
yeh, this stumped me for a long time. i use 32-bit surfaces and used the following code:

DDCOLORKEY colour_key;
colour_key.dwColorSpaceLowValue= _RGB32BIT(0,255,255,255);
colour_key.dwColorSpaceHighValue= ddck.dwColorSpaceLowValue;
g_pDDSPlayer->SetColorKey(DDCKEY_SRCBLT, &colour_key);

which technically should have worked, but it didnt.
alas, i found another way to do so. after the picture is loaded into the surface, make sure its locked, then do the above, but set

colour_key= {pointer to surface}[0]

which gets the first pixel and then sets the colour key to the first pixel of the pic (which is usual the one you want transparent.)

===================
i did:

DWORD *surface_mem = (DWORD *)ddsd.lpSurface;
// DWORD for 32 bit

then

colour_key.dwColorSpaceLowValue = surface_mem[0];
colour_key.dwColorSpaceHighValue = surface_mem[0];
etc...
-------------I am a Juggalo.
Also, if you''re using one of the ''primary'' colors (full red, full blue, full green, or any combination thereof including white) you can use the color mask(s) of your pixel format as a color as well.

They''re part of the DDPIXELFORMAT structure (I''m pretty sure that''s it), and there is one of those in the DDSURFACEDESC2 structure

David
-- black eyez
dgoodlad@junction.net
quote:Original post by Verminaard

yeh, this stumped me for a long time. i use 32-bit surfaces and used the following code:

DDCOLORKEY colour_key;
colour_key.dwColorSpaceLowValue= _RGB32BIT(0,255,255,255);
colour_key.dwColorSpaceHighValue= ddck.dwColorSpaceLowValue;
g_pDDSPlayer->SetColorKey(DDCKEY_SRCBLT, &colour_key);

which technically should have worked, but it didnt.

Er, why do you use ddck.dwColorSpaceLowValue to set colour_key.dwColorSpaceLowValue? Surely that should have been colour_key.dwColorSpaceLowValue (to ensure it''s the same for -this- structure). I can''t see the whole code you were using, but for all I know, ddck might not even have been initialised yet.
sorry, it was just a typo.
-------------I am a Juggalo.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement