my F15 fighter jet sim

Started by
15 comments, last by ctoa 21 years, 4 months ago
Nicely done! It ran fine on my Radeon8500, Athlon 1.1 ghz, 640 MB ram.

When you crash into the ground, it would be nice if the smoke/fire textures would rotate (billboard) to face the viewer, this would add much realism.

Thanks for sharing!

edit: Got about 50 fps at 800x600

----------------
Interesting quote deleted at request of owner

[edited by - yakuza on November 18, 2002 9:02:14 PM]
----------------Amusing quote deleted at request of owner
Advertisement
thanks for the feedback. I''ve make a quiet detail tank model but the game runs slow on my pc because I like to put a bunch of tanks together. So I put the old model back(temporarily). If you want the aircraft model you can get it at MODELS page of my website. It''s free for everybody.

I''m searching for a billboarding tutorial that use the projection/modelview matrix to calculate the angle. Right now I''m using the camera angle to rotate the quads and in the last camera it doesn''t work right.

Actually you can modify the fog/light in the config/stageXX.txt file. The terrain lighting is precalculated using the diffuse light that you give. Actually I tried to increase the contras but I keep increasing the brightness too.
I really like it, mission 2 looks good, the cityscape looks weak, perhase hills around the city?

Awsome work!
quote:I''m searching for a billboarding tutorial that use the projection/modelview matrix to calculate the angle. Right now I''m using the camera angle to rotate the quads and in the last camera it doesn''t work right.

Perhaps this tutorial will help you?
http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/billboarding/

----------------
Interesting quote deleted at request of owner
----------------Amusing quote deleted at request of owner
billboarding is pretty straight forward.
assuming your only using the projection matrix for fov/aspect, then it's juts down to the modelview matrix...

this is code ripped straight from my project:

spriteAngle[0]=Vector3(modelview[0],modelview[1],modelview[2]);
spriteAngle[1]=Vector3(modelview[4],modelview[5],modelview[6]);

(this code is set when you set your camera position, NOT every time you use glTranslate, or whatnot, to move to render an object)

if you add and subtract each from a vertex, to get 4 vertices, you then will get a diamond shape on screen... to make that a square instead, you can just do a matrix mult of the vectors with a matrix rotated on 0,0,-PI/4... you may also want to scale to correct the aspect ratio... (thats done to these two vectors, not on the billboard vertices)..

so a billboard would just end up having the following vectices:

Vector3 position; //billboard position

Vector3 vertices[4]={
position+spriteAngle[0],
position+spriteAngle[1],
position-spriteAngle[0],
position-spriteAngle[1]};

and bang, you have vertices for a billboard.

[edited by - RipTorn on November 19, 2002 8:43:48 PM]
ok, thanks alot 8)
Well Done! Very Impressive!

Runs perfectly on mine. I have a 1ghz, 350mb ram, GeForce4 Ti4200 128Mb. Averaging about 50 fps!

Well done,
Morgan
Cheers,Morgan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement