• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hase

who needs sleep?

This topic is 5711 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

..might be a lounge topic, but since the cause of it is game design I´ll just put it here... So people, tell me, how do you keep your effectivity up during design work that carries on into the mornign hours? I´m sitting here the second time in a week, the sun is going up and I´m not really getting anythign done anymore... and don´t say caffeine, because that doesn´t really help anymore. Somehow being creative suffers most from lack of sleep.. writing bs I don´t mind, nor coloring lineart.. these you can do automatically... but putting together gds... So what do you do?

Advertisement
At the risk of sounding like an idiot: sleep. Seriously. If you don''t have time to sleep, you need to change your priorities or your schedule or something. Most people (myself included) don''t get the sleep they need. I''m guessing that if we all were working at full mental capacity we would find a smart way to avoid having to work long hours.

Well, that''s me.

---------------------------------------------------
-SpittingTrashcan

You can''t have "civilization" without "civil".

I usually work 24 hours, an then I sleep 12 or 14. Last saturday I slept 20 hours, I had like 84.2 dreams... I had to wake up cause my back hurt like hell. I never go to sleep at the same hour, and never wake up at the same hour, that helps me a little to avoid routine. I hate routine so much... Ah, smoking also help me to get concentrated, but I don''t recommend to smoke, it''s a disgusting habit (addiction).

quote:
Original post by xaxa
...but I don''t recommend to smoke, it''s a disgusting habit...

As are your sleeping patterns.

Your brain needs sleep. You won''t get more work done (in the long run) by depriving yourself of it; you increase your productivity by eliminating time wasters like pointless chat, excessive gaming, aimless browsing... I''ve been working on returning to a normal sleeping schedule, with a powernap during the day, and it''s made a difference in my energy level and productivity already.

Now off to bed!

yes uncle Oluseyi...

seriously, I know that sleep is good for you (I noticed that when I realised that not doing it had more ill effects on me than it used to), it´s just that sometimes (coinciding with phenomena known as deadlines) things happen that are not within your power to change... and then stuff still has to get done in time.

So yes, work delivered, I´ll go to bed now (and it´s not even noon yet!).

G´night all.

I usually sleep most of the morning and do most of my work during late evenings, like 6pm - 10pm. Plenty of sleep there :-D and anyway I always work best when full of sugar and caffine. yeah I know its not healthy...

Warning: life.cpp (8): Satisfaction is defined but never used

- Ashley Oliver
Lead Programmer, Interplanitary Productions

Guest Anonymous Poster
This is a serious one. For the past 12 years I''ve been doing the same, going on and off, sometimes working in a row for more than 48 hours. It has gotten me into the hospital last year, and while I was there one of my best colleagues and friend died of a heartattack at age 47. He was basically doing the same.
So the bottomline is: try to work during decent hours. Go to bed and wake up about the same time every day. People really need that. If you are young it seems like it doesn''t matter, but in the long run you will find yourself burnt out, tired and unproductive.

If you find you really have problems to do so, you might have yourself an addiction. Please take this seriously because I know about addiction, and I know as well computer programming CAN be a serious addiction. So if you feel this applies to you, don''t fool yourself and do something about it, even try to get help if that''s neccessary.

BTW Who wants to start a topic on the use of drugs by developers. I know there''s a lot done.

-Decided to stay anonymous

Actually I´m surprised at the lack of answers to the question in my first post... and glad, seems that most of you have the basics down pretty well.
Unfortunately, sometimes things just HAVE to get done in time, this has nothing to do with addictive behavior (believe me, I LOVE to sleep).

And I don´t think discussing developer drugs would be a wise thing (I´ve even stopped using caffeine, so I´m clean as can be)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!