who needs sleep?

Started by
36 comments, last by Hase 21 years, 4 months ago
If you need inspiration and ideas, listen to Camille Saint-Saens' Symphony no. 3, the "Organ" symphony, and listen to it all the way through.

You have to be stoned, though...

[edited by - DeadEyeWins on November 25, 2002 5:47:00 PM]
Advertisement
Being stoned will give you lots of inspiration and ideas but takes away the persuasion and accuracy to do it. You''ll end up staring at your screen, thinking about all the beautiful stuff you *could* make. You code some and think it is the best code you''ve ever written, trashing it the day after.

-Don''t drink and drive.
-Don''t smoke and code.

Greetz,
Some shrink.
"You shouldn''t take hot showers/baths regularly. Males can permanently damage their sperm count in doing so. Im serious."

that''s a fact; the testicles should always be the coolest part of the body, so if you are taking a hotter-than-need-be shower, switch to warm water when you want to wash that area.

from my experience i think that the best way to be productive, is to keep your body, mind and soul in a good condition..

your bodies'' health affects your mind, doing regular exercise improves your blood cycle, do 2-3 hours in 4-5 days a week, any kind of sport, or cardiovascular and weight machines in the nearest gym, doing this on a regular basis increases your efficiency, gives you a sense of elation and clears your mind. in addition you will feel fit all the time.

your soul also needs taking care of; engage in religious activities of worship, or listen to some music.. this will give you self-assurance and tranquility, a spiritual void will have a negative effect on you in the long run.

when it comes to sleep (which is the main topic) 6-7 hours of sleep are just enough for me in working days or weekdays, but to get the best of these hours you have to time them according to your working & free hours.

don''t strain yourself when working, work on 2 hour intervals and take 30 minutes to 1 hour rests between them, do anything in these rest times except working or thinking about it.
----------------------------

((work for the world like you will never die, and work for the hereafter like you will die tomorrow)) - Prophet Mohammed.
((work for the world like you will never die, and work for the hereafter like you will die tomorrow)) - Prophet Mohammed.
sleep...
foolish mortals...
I guess I get enough sleep. I have trouble getting awake most of the time, though. Sometimes, if I''ve only gotten like 4 or 5 hours of sleep (I need a lot), my brain will still be in ''dream mode'' for the next half hour or so. I seriously think that when this happens, my brainwave pattern hasn''t shifted to it''s normal operating pattern yet, and weird, random thoughts just pop into my head without any effort on my part. Although I''ve never been high, I figure this must be pretty damn close to that feeling.

Also, I occasionally have a problem falling asleep (maybe once every few weeks) where my mind just races. I think about everything, and it becomes exhausting. I have to seriously concentrate to relax my brain and clear my mind.

Anybody else experience any of these sensations?
"Also, I occasionally have a problem falling asleep (maybe once every few weeks) where my mind just races. I think about everything, and it becomes exhausting. I have to seriously concentrate to relax my brain and clear my mind."

that happens to me too but more often, infact i couldn''t sleep last-night, sometimes i come up with new ideas at late hours and while at bed i spend hours thinking about it and improving upon it, and only two things can make me sleep: getting out of bed and putting my thoughts on paper, or forcing my rebel-mind to stop thinking about whatever''s occupying it and just thinking about bed,comfort,sleep and good dreams, the hardest part is to stop your chain of thinking which sometimes is so rapid and intense!!!
----

Learning how to effectively summarise your thoughts and plans is a useful skill. That way, you can go to sleep and continue on in the morning without forgetting all the cool things you thought of late last night. Alternatively, I find that switching between several tasks can help prevent your attention from wandering. You have to have the discipline to not keep taking on new tasks without finishing old ones, though.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]
Being stoned is great for ideas, bad for coding, so grab your engineering paper & pencil, sit back on the couch, light a candle or two, turn the music on, turn off the lights, and start smoking. Then when you''ve sobered up, if your ideas aren''t crap, you should be ready to start coding. Or doing more ''design'' following the preceding checklist.

£§
£§

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement