Render a Tree?

Started by
8 comments, last by ematting 21 years, 5 months ago
Could anyone give me a suggestion for rendering a fairly simple tree for my game? It is a very simple game that needs something that dosen't slow it down. Or maybe point out a tutorial or resource I could reference? Dosen't have to be too realistic (hopefully something better than a sphere or cone).... aluv4ballin [edited by - ematting on November 18, 2002 2:08:03 AM]
aluv4ballin
Advertisement
Um... how about making it into a 3d model and loading it? I would build it up in milkshape or max or something, and just render it. Otherwise, there''s a program I found somewhere called TNA, can''t find where I got it from, you might be able to get something.

-ReK
What about using a "l-system 3" code and extending it to a third dimension? Where each branch is a cylinder...Will this be slow and hard to implement?

Thanks,

aluv4ballin
aluv4ballin
a few games use the simple 2 perpendicular texture mapped quads. it definitely looks a bit jenky but it''s incrediably easy.

2 perpendicualr quads.
tex map onto each an image of a tree.
make the non-colored pixels of the mapped image transparent

-me
or, if it doesn''t have to be a 3d tree, you might try billboarding a picture of one.

My Homepage
How many Microsoft employees does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None, they just declare drakness as a new standard.
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
If you wanted to be _really_ fancy, you could use the method suggested by Palidine, 2 texture mapped quads that intersect each other, but expand on it.

- 6 or 8 instead of four for added depth
- have horizontal quads with approprate textures as well

or even cooler:

Do the main trunk and perhaps a few major branches as low poly cylinders, then use several sets of three texture mapped quads (like my second idea) rotated and translated to the correct position.

Anyway, with trees, low poly - better texture, is your best bet.

Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Cool Links :: [ GD | TG | MS | NeHe | PA | SA | M&S | TA | LiT | H*R ]
Got Clue? :: [ Start Here! | Google | MSDN | GameDev.net Reference | OGL v D3D | File Formats | Go FAQ yourself ]

Or you can create a simple fractal tree like this one:
http://www.scorchedearth3d.net/tree_images/new_tree6.jpg

Every branch has 3 branches coming out of it at random angles. And each of those branches has 3 branches... etc... etc...

Nitzan

-------------------------
www.geocities.com/nitzanw
www.scorchedearth3d.net
-------------------------
remember, he did mention that he wanted it to be simple and non-slow. Rendering each branch is going to waste render time.
Andrew Russell : But rendering a lot of big (alpha-blended)faces is going to burn ALOT of fillrate. Personaly I would go for gractal generation or L-System stored in display list or with using some kind of LOD.

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
After a think about this.

I suppose it would really depend on the graphics card and how you implement it. Display list or vertex buffer may indeed be faster.

How about a combo like I suggested before? Major branches as low poly cylinders with alpha blended polys for smaller braches and leaves.

Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Cool Links :: [ GD | TG | MS | NeHe | PA | SA | M&S | TA | LiT | H*R ]
Got Clue? :: [ Start Here! | Google | MSDN | GameDev.net Reference | OGL v D3D | File Formats | Go FAQ yourself ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement