• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DrawIndexedPrimitive - confusion about parameters

This topic is 5663 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I have some fconfusion about the Parameters if the IDirect3dDevice interface. According to my documentation, the params are: * Type * BaseVertexIndex * MinIndex * NumVerticces * StartIndex * PrimitiveCount My problem is that I seem to have a misunderstanding here. I have a VertexBuffer containins vertices for a number of terrain patches (4225 vertices each, 9 patches, directly one behind the other). I have an IndexBuffer that contains the index information for all of these patches as triangle lists. These are 8192 triangles per "patch texture layer", for a total of 24576 indices. Again, the indices are in the same "order" than the vertices, and they start with 0 for every vertex patch. Now, when drawing the 9 terrain patches, they show up terribly distorted, at least everything afte rthe initial one. So, just some questions: (a) what is the BaseVertexIndex? Am I correct that this number is added to the index numbers of every index processed to point to the "real vertex"? This way Vertex 0 in patch three would stay Vertex 0 for the indices, just with a higher "BaseVertexIndex", repositioning the 0 to the start of the third vertex "slice"? (b) MinIndex, NumVertices - it is said that this is used for opimisation. So this should be: MinIndex: Nr of the first index used, NumVertices - number of vertices. (c) StartIndex - start position in the index buffer. This should basically point to the first index in the "index array" that the IndexBuffer is, (d) PrimitiveCount - the number of primitives drawn, in this particular case 1/3 of the number of indices. Question: (a) I know (with 16 bit indexing) - I can ONLY have 65536 vertices in a VertexBuffer for an indexed call. Fine with me. But - I CAN have more indices, or? I mean, the IndexBuffer can contain, lets say 300.000 indices? Regards Thomas Tomiczek THONA Consulting Ltd. (Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

Advertisement
Got it - all stuff is byte offsets, not numbers :-) Works now.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!