normalization cubemap size

Started by
4 comments, last by _DarkWIng_ 21 years, 5 months ago
Hi! I was wondering what kind of size do you use for your normalization cubemaps. I used 128x128 all the time(for perpixel lighting/bumpmapping) until I saw some realy wierd banding efect on some models. After increasing size to 256x256 this was a bit less visible. (I can post a screenshot if you want.) What kind of size do you use to get the best performance/quality ratio? You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Advertisement
Actually, 128*128 is more than enough most of the time (you can even go lower, most bumpmapping demos from nVidia use 32*32 maps). Very important: turn off any filtering on your cubemaps ! Use nearest pixel lookup, as linear filtering will denormalize the cubemap values.
Switching from linear to nearest pixel lookup didn''t change a thing. I guess there is another flaw in my algorithm. Here''s a picture of problem :
http://www2.arnes.si/~uteran/scene0.jpg

Hard to say without seeing your algorithm. Is that a diffuse or specular highlight on the board ?

It''s not impossible that the cubemap might be the cause, it depends on the geometry and your algorithm, again hard to say from a shot. Is the checker board flat on the surface (ie. is the 3D entirely bump) or are the tiles curved ?

Especially important: how are you using the normalization map ?
It''s a specular highlight. The geometry for the board is just one big box. Tiles are just on the bumpmap.

"how are you using the normalization map ?" I realy don''t understand what you want me to tell you?

Algorithm looks something like this.
In vertex program:
-calculate L (point->light)
-calculate E (point->eye)
-calculate H = L+E
-transform H to texture space by TBN matrix
-send H to texture with normalization cubemap binded
-do some other sutff (for diffuse part, distance attenuation,..)

Register combiners setup: (just specular part)
-spare0 = H from normalizatiom cubemap DOT normal from normal map
-power up (H.N) to (H.N)^16 <br>-multiply with light color and so &#111;n….<br><br><br>A bit of side-question. How do you handle attenuation for specular part? It looks wierd if you ignore it, but even wierder if you use the same attenuation function as for diffuse part.<br><br><br>(The funny thing is that I''ve writen this thing over a month ago and never noticed this bug, until a few days ago I tried this "shader" &#111;n a big flat object. It wored "just fine" &#111;n curved &#111;nes.) <br><br>You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
OK, I think I found what the problem is. In fake pawer-up I use something like this:

x = 4 * Clamp_In_0_TO_1( (H dot N) - 0.75 )

and that 4* eats 2 bits of already low 8 bit value. Situation in real (H dot N)^16 is not much better.

Any idea how to slove this?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement